The annual World Press Photo contest is at the core of the organization’s activities. It offers an overview of how press photographers tackle their work worldwide and how the press gives us the news, bringing together pictures from all parts of the globe to reflect trends and developments in photojournalism.
World Press Photo invites professional photographers and photojournalists from around the world to enter the 2010 World Press Photo contest.
Submit your entries in the given categories.
The 2010 contest will, for the first time, focus in depth on the categories:
Prize-winning photographers have the opportunity of presenting their portfolios publicly. The presence of so many top photojournalists and other interested parties is also the springboard for organizing discussions that tackle contemporary issues affecting the profession. Every year World Press Photo invites a prominent speaker to give the Sem Presser lecture on a subject of crucial relevance to the field.
Winners are announced at a press conference in the second week of February. Prizewinning photographers are invited to receive their awards at the annual Awards Days in Amsterdam at the end of April.
- The World Press Photo contest is only open to professional photographers and photojournalists.
- World Press Photo expects all participants to act in accordance with the guidelines of professional conduct as laid down in the Declaration of Principles on the Conduct of Journalists of the International Federation of Journalists.
- Before you will be able to enter the contest, you must accept the entry rules and the declaration.
- Single images in all categories must have been taken in 2009. Stories/portfolios entered in the categories Spot News, General News, People in the News and Sports Action must have been taken in 2009. Stories/portfolios entered in the remaining categories must have been completed or first published in 2009.
- Stories/portfolios must contain no less than 2 and no more than 12 images. Stories/portfolios of more than 12 images will not be accepted.
- Images can only be entered once, either as a single image or as part of a story/portfolio. Images submitted more than once will not be accepted. Individual images entered as part of a story/portfolio are also eligible for an award as single.
- Images not yet published can be submitted.
- Entries submitted by e-mail will not be accepted.
How to enter?
Entries may be submitted on-line, via the web entry site. The site is available in English, French, Portuguese and Spanish.
The deadline for applying for a user name and password is 8 January 2010, 23.59 Central European Time. Please apply as soon as possible.
- Log on to the web entry site and carefully read and accept the entry rules and the declaration.
- Check your personal and professional data.
- Upload and edit your images to complete your entry. Note that you do not have to complete your entry in one session. You may always log out and continue later.