The Warming Huts: An Art + Architecture Competition On Ice competition is intended to provide design teams, both local and around the world, an opportunity to put forward their ideas for shelter and art.
Warming Huts: An Art & Architecture Competition on Ice is launching a call for proposals to select design teams to create three (3) unique shelters for the Assiniboine Credit Union River Trail (ACURT), on the Assiniboine River, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
This call is open to Canadian and international designers and multidisciplinary teams composed of an architect, artist or designers from other disciplines.
While no theme will be specified for the competition, the design teams are challenged to push the envelope of design and art. The huts should motivate the public to use the skating trail, and challenge users to form their own opinions and understanding of the meaning of art and architecture.
The huts are to provide a space for skaters, skiers and strollers to put on their equipment, or simply to rest. The huts will be taken off the ice at the end of each season and stored for use in future winters. In time, The Forks hopes the collection of warming huts will provide users of the trail with a unique mixture of designs that exemplify the boundless possibilities afforded by creative design.
The designers will be selected by a jury, chaired by an internationally-known architect, on the basis of:
- The originality, coherence and clarity of the creative approach;
- The quality of their professional practice and recognition of the excellence of their work.
The budget for the creation and construction of each hut is $16,500 (CAN). This budget is divided in the following fashion:
- up to $3,500 for the designers’ honorarium;
- up to $7,500 (including taxes) for the purchase of materials and/or the employment of consultants necessary for the realization of the project. This budget is managed jointly by The Forks and the designer;
- up to $4,000 for labour costs for the construction of the huts.
- up to $1,500 for Construction Management conducted by The Forks
Up to $1,000 is available for accommodation expenses and up to $2,500 is available for airfare. All travel expenses are only applicable to foreign teams.
- This call for entries is open to all professional designers (or teams of designers) from Manitoba, the rest of Canada and internationally that work in the fields of architecture, landscape architecture, visual arts, and design.
- Each design team must include an artist and we encourage the idea that teams be made of members from multiple disciplines.
- Each team will submit a single entry.
How to enter?
The entries must be sent electronically as a single PDF file not exceeding 20 Mb via the official website. It should contain (in this order) the following documents (in English):
- Presentation page with:
- Name of the project;
- Name of the designers;
- Name of the respondent for the team;
- Telephone, fax, e-mail and web site address (if appropriate);
- A 150-word presentation of the team showing the strength of this multidisciplinary association;
- A schema 11” x 17″ or A3 with:
- A 150-word text describing the concept and presenting the experience offered to the visitors;
- A layout plan of the hut (at minimum scale of 1:100);
- A schema 11” x 17” or A3 with:
- 2 main views or elevations of the hut indicating size and materials (candidate is free to choose the scale);
- A perspective showing the hut in its entirety.
- Curriculum vitæ of the designers (2 pages maximum per person).
- A schema 11″ x 17″ or A3 presenting up to three recent projects by the team and/or its designers
Please register your intent to submit a proposal by writing a short email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional questions e-mail email@example.com.