“Urban Intervention” invites designers to conceive a fresh vision of environmental, social, and economic opportunities on and beyond a 9-acre site at the heart of Seattle Center.
Design ideas should harness Seattle’s history of innovation and civic engagement to inspire the next generation of great public spaces and connect interaction and innovation to meet the challenges of the future.
The Urban Intervention competition is open to established and emerging, US and international design teams and individuals. Up to three finalist teams will receive $30,000 to further develop ideas. The Winning team will receive an additional $30,000 cash prize!
Design an Extraordinary Place that will be a Transformative Gathering Space for Current and Future Users of Seattle Center
Urban Intervention’s call for entries is about bold and creative design ideas. The Urban Intervention competition seeks complex, multidisciplinary design responses from a broad spectrum of innovative designers.
Your entry should consist of the following:
- Design Statement
- Analytic Concept Sketches
- Exhibition Panel
- Publicity Images
Dialogue and publication of competition entries will be used to promote vigorous discussion about place-based and replicable innovation in public space design. Urban Intervention will provide the next generation with a chance to both dream big and, ultimately, do big.
Urban Intervention Offers a Grand Prize of $30,000!
The jury will recognize up to 10 proposals with awards.
In Phase 1, the jury will select up to three finalists for recognition; each finalist will receive $30,000 to develop a Phase 2 submittal. In addition, the jury may select up to seven proposals for commendation or merit awards.
Finalists will be invited to Seattle in March or early April 2012 for a learning visit that will feature interactive meetings with Seattle Center stakeholders and city leaders, as well as live and virtual community input and crowdsourcing opportunities.
In Phase 2, the jury will select a Grand Prize Winner for a cash award of $30,000.
Innovative Designers Worldwide, This One’s for You!
- The competition is open to established and emerging US and international design teams and individuals. Multidisciplinary teams are strongly encouraged but not required. Teams must include at least one licensed design professional related to the built environment.
- Eligible professional licenses include those recognized by the architecture, landscape architecture, and civil engineering accreditation bodies in the United States and their international equivalents. Documentation of the registration of one team member is required.
- Entrants may participate either as individuals or teams, but no one may submit or participate in more than one proposal.
- Materials submitted to Urban Intervention will not be returned.
Register Online via AIA Seattle
To enter, you need to register online through AIA Seattle’s website. Once registered, follow the Submittal Instructions to complete your entry.
Smaller Entry Fee if You Register Early
- $80 – Early Registration on or before 6 January 2012
- $100 – Regular Registration by 27 January 2012