Entries are now being accepted for the Powerhouse Museum Photo Competition 2012 – Trainspotting. This competition recognizes excellence in railway photography.
Now in its third year the Trainspotting competition attracts entrants, both amateur and professional, from around the world. From casual observers to avid railway photographers, the competition draws an impressive range of entries.
Trainspotting: the Powerhouse Museum International Photo Competition 2012 is proudly presented by the Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences, commonly known as the Powerhouse Museum, Sydney, Australia.
Trainspotting – International Competition for Railway Photography
Entries are being accepted in the following categories:
- Steam trains (can include locomotive only or locomotive with carriages)
- Diesel electric or electric trains or trams (can include locomotive or power car only or locomotive or power car with carriages)
- Railway infrastructure, including architecture and design (can include buildings and permanent installations such as stations, platforms, tracks, rail bridges, rail signage, turntables, and so on.)
- Trainspotting (in which the subject is the hobby of observing and recording the numbers of railway locomotives and rolling stock)
- People in railway and tram environments
- Mobile phone (photos taken on a mobile phone to include any subjects from the above categories. This can include the use of various applications.)
Entries can be in colour or black and white in all categories.
The Best Photos Will be Awarded with Cash Prizes!
- Overall prize winner – will receive AUD$5000
- Category winners – will each receive AUD$2000
- People’s Choice Award – visitors to the exhibition at the Powerhouse Museum will be able to select a photograph to receive the People’s Choice Award at the close of the exhibition.
- Powerhouse Museum Photographers’ Choice Award – the Museum’s photographers will choose an outstanding photograph from the selection of photographs displayed at the Museum.
Photos from Any Country are being Accepted
- The competition is open to anyone 13 years of age or older from any country and both amateur and professional photographers are encouraged to apply.
- Powerhouse Museum staff and their immediate families, are not eligible to enter the competition.
- Photographs must be of operating railway and/or tram rolling stock. Disused rolling stock, mono rails, model railways or static museum displays are not to be included.
- Photographs that have won any prizes in any other competitions are not eligible.
- Previous photographs entered in the 2010 and 2011 Trainspotting competitions are not eligible.
- Photographs must have been taken in the last three years, since 1 December 2008.
- Up to three photos (the first three) per person per category may be entered.
Enter Online, by Post or Deliver Your Photos in Person
Entries can be submitted online via the Powerhouse Museum group on Flickr or by post. Hop to the official website for specific guidelines.