Following the great success of the inaugural Trainspotting international competition, the Powerhouse Museum proudly presents Trainspotting 2011. Amateur and professional photographers from around the world are invited to enter for a chance to win $5,000 (Australian dollars) and have their photograph exhibited at the Powerhouse Museum.
Enthusiasts of trains, railways and trams can enter up to three images per category and have the opportunity of showcasing their photographic skills.
Submit photos in the following Trainspotting competition categories:
- Steam trains (can include locomotive only or locomotive with carriages)
- Diesel electric or electric trains or trams (can include locomotive or power car only or locomotive or power car with carriages)
- Railway infrastructure, including architecture and design (can include buildings and permanent installations such as stations, platforms, tracks, rail bridges, rail signage, turntables, and so on.)
- Trainspotting (in which the subject is the hobby of observing and recording the numbers of railway locomotives and rolling stock)
- People in railway and tram environments
- Mobile phone (photos taken on a mobile phone to include any subjects from the above categories. This can include the use of various applications.)
Judging will be based on:
A panel will judge the entries on composition, technique, content, creativity and experimental approach. The overall prize winner will be awarded $5,000 (Australian dollars) and category winners will receive $2,000 (Australian dollars).
In addition to displaying the winning images a number of highly commended images will also go on display at the Museum from early April to mid June. After the exhibition closes at the Museum it may travel to selected venues in New South Wales and other states in Australia.
- The competition is open to anyone 18 years of age or older from any country and both professional and amateur photographers are encouraged to apply.
- Powerhouse Museum staff and their immediate families, are not eligible to enter the competition.
- Photographs must be of operating railway and/or tram rolling stock. Disused rolling stock, mono rails, model railways or static museum displays are not to be included.
- Entries can be in colour or black and white in all categories.
- Photographs that have won any prizes in any other competitions are not eligible.
- Previous photos entered in the 2010 Trainspotting competition are not eligible.
- Photographs must have been taken in the last three years, since 1 October 2007.
- Up to three photos (the first three) per person per category can be entered.
- Short listed entries will be contacted on 30 November 2010 to supply high resolution images (see definition below) and label information. These are required to be sent to the Powerhouse no later than 9 December 2010.
- Winners will be announced at the opening of the 2011 Trainspotting exhibition at the Powerhouse Museum on 7 April 2011.
How to enter?
Enter online via the Powerhouse Museum group on Flickr. It is also possible to mail your entries, but considering the very short deadline, entering via Flickr is quite more reasonable.
Postal address:Trainspotting Photograph Competition
Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences
PO Box K346