Black Spectacles is boldly stating that most design competitions today are wasteful. It takes a lot of hard, gutsy work to bring something to reality, and most competitions stay at the surface.
By introducing a different approach, Black Spectacles invites you to take part in the Un-Competition Project.
The Un-Competition Project is the opposite of a competition project. You’ll get inspired to create, but there is no brief. You make the project up yourself, big or small- you sell it, and you figure out how to get it built. Then document it in a video, and Black Spectacles will show it to the world.
How’s that for a challenge?
Invent it, Design it, Build it
Invent a project, design it, and post your design on Black Spectacles’ Facebook page, with a 60 second video.
Your 60 second video should include the following:
- How you came up with your project, and why you think it needs to be realized.
- Explanation of your design idea, (include 3D and orthographic drawings/models).
- Explanation of how you intend to get (or already have gotten) the project realized.
The Un-Competition Prizes
A distinguished jury will award up to $1,500 (at its discretion) to first, second, third place and People’s Choice winners. The People’s Choice Award will be determined by the proposal with the most votes on Black Spectacles’ Facebook page.
The winning projects will also be the subject of a featured interview on Black Spectacles’ website, as well as featured participants in an event led by the Chicago Architectural Club.
Un-Competition Brief Regulations
- This is an International Un-Competition.
- Designers from any country may participate.
- You must be 18 years or older to submit.
- The Un-Competition language is English.
- All audio and text in the video shall be in English.
- You may submit a project as a team.
How to Enter the Un-Competition?
To enter the Un-Competition Project first you need to register via the official website. Once you’re registered, you should upload your video(s) on Black Spectacles’s page on Facebook.
The registration fee is $50. Early registration is $35 and closes on 3 October 2011.