The Rookies international student competition is seeking for fresh student work for 2018 in film, animation, games, virtual reality, motion graphics and 3D visualization, from all parts of the world.
All students and recent alumni 18 years or older are eligible to join the competition.
Entrants can win weekly prizes, jobs, educational scholarships and even studio internships. Entrants also receive an official industry ranking, become confident presenting their work and can see how their skills compare with other students.
The 2018 competition includes the following categories:
- Feature Animation — Digital media content created specifically for the use in a stylised Feature Animation film similar to Pixar and Dreamwork.
- Digital Illustration — Illustrations and concept art created for feature film, computer games, story narrative, advertising and fanart purposes.
- Visual Effects — Entries with a focus on live action visual effects for film and advertisements. Skills ranging from roto through to comp.
- Game Development — 3D based content used in the creation of video games for console systems and mobile devices.
- Virtual Reality — Content created specifically for use with virtual reality headsets is the goal here. This includes games, apps, and all VR experiences.
- 3D Motion Graphics — Entries which showcase video projects that feature 3D components, animated still images, or live action with graphics.
- Product Visualisation — Focused on product, furniture, and gadget design that are to be manufactured through techniques of mass production.
- Architecture Visualisation — Content created to help visualise building interiors and exteriors, landscaping, town planning and sustainability.
The Rookies was established in 2009 with the goal of showcasing the amazing creative talent emerging from educational facilities around the world.
Over the years the competition has become a right-of-passage for all graduates as they start their careers.