THE MEME and Samsung Electronics invite designers and engineers to contribute feasible ideas for embedded support systems for digital cameras. The embedded support system should be integral to the camera (not detachable), hidden (or aesthetically integrated), easy to expand and retract, and usable in as many physical conditions as possible.
The challenge in this competition is to design embedded support systems that come as a replacement to tripods. What if a light, compact support system could be attached to the camera body, expanding only when necessary?
What if your digital camera could support itself on any surface, without having to attach a cumbersome tripod?
Design Original + Creative Embedded Camera Support System
Self-capture, low light, long exposure, and unusual angle of view, are all situations in which people might use a tripod to support and stabilize their camera. However, due to the extra weight and cumbersome process of carrying, unfolding, and setting up the tripod, it is often considered as a special external accessory rather than an everyday tool.
What would you design as a replacement to the tripod?
- The folding / expansion method of the support system should be the focus of the design innovation. Any and all potential support mechanisms will be considered, including but not limited to: collapsible, retractable, foldable, magnetic, suction, transformable, telescoping, gripping.
- There should be breadth of situations in which the support system could be utilized. (e.g. terrain, indoor/outdoor, vertical/horizontal, soft/hard, etc.)
- Your design concept should be very original and creative. Radical and unconventional ideas are welcome.
A Gold Prize of $10,000 for the Winning Design!
The following prize will be awarded for the three selected applicants:
- Gold Prize: $10,000
- Silver Prize: $3,000
- Bronze Prize: $2,000
Only One Entry Per Contestant Allowed
- Every design submission has to be original.
- Applicants should submit their entries only one time. Multiple submissions will not be accepted.
- Participants are obligated to keep their designs undisclosed until the competition results are published.
- The official language of the competition is English.
Register + Submit Your Design via Email
To enter this competition, you first need to register by email. Once registered, you should submit you design, also by email. More detailed instructions are available on the official website.