The Magnum Expression Photography Award was established by Magnum Photos and HP with the goal of raising awareness and inspiring change through projects using photography as an expressive medium. Its mission is to discover and illuminate compelling documentary photography.
Magnum and HP were compelled to create this award program based on the desire to illuminate and support both emerging and established photographers with vital resources. Through collaboration with Magnum’s multimedia team, feedback from jury members, and the donation of graphic arts resources, this program is unique.
The judges are searching for revealing imagery that illustrates dedicated compassion and intensity using photography as a medium.
Participants’ submissions may be for a completed project or one that is ongoing.
Criteria for Evaluation:
- Excellence and inventiveness in building a photographic narrative.
- Singularity of vision and compassion for the subjects.
- Ability to produce a thought-provoking visual presentation.
- The chosen photographer will receive:
- A $10,000 grant to support the continuation of his or her work.
- Mentorship from Magnum jury photographers.
- HP’s latest HP Designjet Z3200 Photo Printer and a suite of media supplies to produce the project in exhibition form.
- The opportunity to work with the Magnum in Motion creative production team to produce a multimedia essay of the project.
- Production sponsorship of a solo exhibition printed on HP Designjet Z3200 Photo Printer Series.
- $3,000 credit for production of the photographer’s essay in book form, in collaboration with Blurb.com and printed on HP Indigo printers.
- A PhotoShelter Pro Account with 100GB storage and customizable website, for one year.
- Honorable mention recipients will receive:
- An HP Photosmart Photo printer and a suite of media for studio printing.
- $1,000 credit for production of each photographer’s essay in book form, in collaboration with Blurb.com and printed on HP Indigo printers.
- A PhotoShelter basic account with 10GB storage and 5GB a month hi-res bandwidth, for one year.
- Finalists will receive:
- $200 contribution towards production of each photographer’s essay in book form, in collaboration with Blurb.com and printed on HP Indigo printers.
- A PhotoShelter basic account with 10GB storage and 5GB a month hi-res bandwidth.
- Participation in the Magnum Expression Award competition is open to all photographers over the age of 18 except (i) employees and principles of Magnum, its affiliates, and participating sponsors PhotoShelter, Blurb.com & Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. “HP” (collectively, the “Competition Partners”), and (ii) photographers who are or have been represented professionally by Magnum or its affiliates.
- Eligible participants must be natural persons and not corporate entities.
- To submit your work for consideration for the Magnum Expression Award, you must first create a PhotoShelter account in two easy steps. A paid account is not required to submit.
How to enter?
- Your images: you may submit from 8 to 15 images to illustrate a single photographic essay, and
- Your written statement about the project: you must submit a text statement in which you provide a brief biography and tell Magnum Photos about your motivations for producing the project, your relationship to the subject, the audience you would like to reach, and the innovative methods you have used or will use in the production and distribution of the work. Statements should be in English if possible.