Last year, the inaugural We’re Linux video contest kicked off a storm of creativity and captured the spirit of Linux and the diversity of its community. The winning video “What Does it Mean to Be Free” was an inspirational piece that communicated the ideals of the open source operating system.
This year we want to up the game and uncover more talent. What if the Linux community had its own ad running during the Super Bowl? How would you convey the power of Linux in a 30 – 60 video spot that would air during the big game?
In 30 – 60 seconds, showcase your take on “The Linux Super Bowl Ad”. This should be why you love it and should inspire others to use it. The video can be an extensive production, a plain testimonial or as simple as a screen capture with a voice over. Be creative, be authentic and have fun. Humor is always a good way to showcase your passion.
Judging criteria will be: originality, clarity of message and how much it inspires others to use Linux. The judges will also take into account community votes on the Linux Foundation video site such as number of favorites and starred voting, but that is not the sole criteria for winning.
Just like last year we want you to be in charge. While the Linux Foundation could write a detailed creative brief and tell you exactly what to do, it’s not our style (or hopefully yours.) Linux isn’t a top-down, commercially controlled operating system. It’s a grassroots product of mass collaboration. But here are a few questions to think about:
- Would your video get people talking the day after the Super Bowl?
- Can your video inspire people to try Linux?
- Animation can work wonders. It’s easier to get a point across with animation instead of live actors. There are some great sites out there that help you create animated videos.
- How do you convey the power and ideals of the operating system in your video?
To watch videos submitted for last year’s contest, including the winning submission, please click here.
The winner will receive airfare and hotel at LinuxCon in Boston, the annual conference for all matters Linux. They will also receive a laptop loaded with Linux. The winning video will be unveiled at the Linux Foundation’s Collaboration Summit in San Francisco in April.
- Open to anyone over 18.
- Contest winner to be decided by community rankings and a panel of judges chosen by the Linux Foundation.
- Each video needs to be between 30 – 60 seconds in length.
- Each video cannot include copyrighted material or have illegal or offensive content; this is up to the LF to decide.
- The contest opens Feb 4 and will close at midnight pacific on April 4.
- Enter as many unique entries as you’d like.
- Please do not submit duplicate entries.