DC Shorts is proud to present a different kind of screenwriting competition. A panel of judges consisting of filmmakers, screenwriters, and critics will review and provide condensed coverage (feedback) for scripts of 15 pages or less.
A set of finalists (5–7) will be selected to be featured during ScriptDC – a weekend of screenwriting events and classes for DC regional writers and filmmakers.
Finalists are invited to attend ScriptDC (all registration fees are waived) and, with the assistance of local directors and agents, cast a live table reading of the script from a bank of actors.
DC Shorts is looking for short film scripts under 15 pages in any genre. Scripts must not be in production.
The purpose of the competition and award money is to foster the creation and successful completion of an independent short film. All film/video shooting must take place after the award presentation.
Please consider the following deadlines for entries:
- Early Deadline – 31 March 2011
- Regular Deadline – 30 April 2011
- Late Deadline – 31 May 2011
The DC Shorts Screenplay Competition awards up to $2,000 to a winning script, and guaranteed acceptance into the 2012 DC Shorts Film Festival.
- Screenplays must have been completed after 1 January 2009.
- Scripts must not exceed 15 pages in length, excluding cover page.
- All non-English language screenplays must be translated and submitted in English.
- A separate entry form and additional entry fee must be submitted for each script.
How to enter?
You can enter this competition either via Withoutabox or by email.
If emailed, scripts are only accepted as PDF files on scripts [at] dcshorts.com (please replace [at] with @) no later than 31 May 2011.
With special discounts for Withoutabox premier members:
- Standard entry fees range from $40 – $75, depending on the entered deadline;
- Student entry fees range from $30 – $65, depending on the entered deadline.