Welcome to the 2010 DiabetesMine™ Design Challenge, an online competition to encourage creative new tools for improving life with diabetes.
Do you have an idea for an innovative new diabetes device or web application? This is your chance to win up to $7,000 in cash and valuable assistance to realize your design concept – while potentially helping transform life with diabetes for millions of people struggling with this difficult condition.
This competition is open to all. Entries are welcome from any individuals or organizations passionate about diabetes and product design ― patients, parents, caregivers, students, entrepreneurs, developers, engineers, etc.
The Design Challenge concept was born in Spring 2007, when creator of DiabetesMine Amy Tenderich posted an Open Letter to Apple CEO Steve Jobs, calling for the gurus of consumer design to help revolutionize design of diabetes devices. In the weeks and months that followed, numerous individuals and organizations came forward with compelling new prototypes, designs, and ideas.
Do you have an idea for an innovative new diabetes device or web application? This is your chance to win up to $7,000 in cash and valuable assistance to realize your design concept — while potentially helping transform life with diabetes for millions of people struggling with this difficult condition.
Three Grand Prize winners will be selected this year to each receive:
- $7,000 cash, plus:
- a complementary consulting session with Health and Wellness experts at the global design and innovation firm IDEO;
- a free access ticket to the “innovation incubator” Health 2.0 Conference planned for October 2010 in San Francisco, CA;
- introduction to Silicon Valley investors and other relevant experts; and
- additional hands-on assistance towards commercialization of your design idea, as appropriate
- Plus $1,000 cash each for the winners of the “Most Creative Idea” and “Best Kids’ Concept” Category
- This competition is open to any individuals or organizations passionate about diabetes and product design – whether you’re an enterprising patient or parent, a startup company, a design student, an independent developer or engineer, or a pharma R&D pro. Entries from participants age 17 and under are also welcome, and will be judged in a separate category.
- Each product or design concept must be new, i.e. introduced within the last half-year, or in development phase, possibly undergoing user testing now.
- One video or paper entry per product idea only, please.
- The product or design concept needs to have been created in its entirety by the submitting team, i.e. it must not infringe or violate the rights of any third parties, including, but not limited to the copyrights, patents, trademarks, trade secrets, and right of publicity/privacy.
- Each submission needs to contain the following aspects describing your new design:
- Explanation of the everyday problem(s) your concept is designed to solve – how does it help improve life for people with diabetes?
- Description of the medical application of the product.
- Detailed depiction of the product’s look and feel, material, and dimensions. Ideally videos will include a 360-degree shot of the product or design concept.
- Demonstration of the product in action and its various functions, if possible.
- Each video segment must display the 2010 DiabetesMine™ Design Challenge title screen at the beginning and end for five seconds.
- Materials submitted may be published in the public domain, royalty-free, by the contest organizers, in conjunction with promotions of this competition. All efforts on the part of DiabetesMine™ will be in good faith to maintain correct acknowledgement of the submitter. Please NOTE: entrants retain full intellectual property (IP) rights to their submitted concepts.
How to enter?
Submissions are accepted in the form of a 2-3 minute video to be uploaded to the DiabetesMine YouTube channel, or a 2-3 page written “elevator pitch” plus supporting graphics, also to be uploaded online via our Scribd group.