Smithsonian Magazine is calling for entries, for its 18th Annual Photo Contest, open to all photographers who are 18 years old or older.
Award-winning photographs can range from a captivating portrait of a family member to a moon-drenched landscape to movement captured at just the right time. Smithsonian is looking for the best of the best.
Eight prizes will be awarded in spring 2021, including a Grand Prize of $2,500, six category prizes of $500 each and a Reader’s Choice award of $500.
You may submit up to 15 photographs per category for a contest total of 90 submissions.
The six contest categories for 2020 are drawn from subjects of special interest to Smithsonian magazine:
- Natural World: Animals, plants and landscapes; geological or climatological features; and scientific processes and endeavors.
- Travel: Locales, peoples or activities in the United States and abroad that convey a sense of place.
- People: Portraits and photos of groups or individuals.
- The American Experience: Events, objects or activities connecting the American people to their history or their cultural heritage; photographs that tell us what it means to be an American and provide a sense of what it is like to live in this country.
- Altered Images: Photographs manipulated for artistic purposes by applying digital and/or traditional special effects.
- Mobile: Any photograph taken with a mobile device (phone or tablet).
Last year a total of 36,000 entries were submitted by photographers hailing from 145 countries and territories.
No Entry Fee!
It's free to enter.