The Science Fiction + Fantasy Short Film Festival (SFFSFF) promotes and encourages an awareness, appreciation and understanding of the art of science fiction and fantasy cinema.
The sixth annual Science Fiction + Fantasy Short Film festival, to be presented at the Cinerama Theatre in Seattle, Washington, brings together industry professionals in both filmmaking and the genre of science fiction and fantasy to encourage and support new, creative additions to science fiction and fantasy cinema arts.
Its mandate is to create a forum for creative artistry in science fiction and fantasy film and recognize the most outstanding short films produced.
Submit your science fiction and fantasy films, no longer than 15 minutes and produced after January, 2006.
The festival is a juried competition. A nationally recognized panel of distinguished film, television, literature, and science fiction industry professionals, peers and film critics will review qualifying submissions.
All films will be eligible for the Audience Favorite award. The jury will select three top films and one film for the Douglas Trumbull Award for Best Special Effects.
- Films must have been completed no earlier than January 2006.
- Films selected for screening will be notified no later than 20 October 2010.
- Films must be no longer than 15 minutes.
- Films are selected on the basis of quality and originality. Preference is given to original premieres.
- Selected films must be made available for Festival presentation in 35mm or digital video (HD Cam, Beta SP or DigiBeta – NTSC only.) Films requiring dual projection (interlock), Super-16mm projection or conventional video projection will not be accepted. Accepted films must arrive in 35mm, Digibeta, Beta SP or HD Cam. Failure to provide the film in the format indicated may result in the film being dropped from the festival. No exceptions will be permitted.
- Foreign language films must be made available with the original language soundtrack and English subtitles.
- All films must be submitted on DVD. Do not put multiple works on the same DVD or send multiple films in one package. If possible, please also include a digital copy of the film, no larger than 500 MB, in any of the following formats: .avi .dv .mov .qt .mpg .mpg2 .mpeg2 .mpeg4 .mp4 .3gp .3g2 .asf .wmv .flv.
How to enter?
Required submission materials:
- Paid entry fee.
- Two DVD copies of the film, clearly marked with title, director and contact phone/e-mail. DVDs must be submitted in plastic safe cases and be formatted in MPEG video for Region 1/North America. Neither Quicktime (.mov) nor Microsoft (.avi) are accepted. Please test your consumer-burned DVD on several makes and models of players. DVD+RW and DVD-RW are NOT acceptable. DVDs will not be returned.
- Key film still – 300dpi JPEG image
- Director bio, headshot still – 300dpi JPEG image
- Film description and synopsis (50-200 words)
- Recommended: One digital copy of the film, no larger than 500 MB, and in any of the following formats: .avi .dv .mov .qt .mpg .mpg2 .mpeg2 .mpeg4 .mp4 .3gp .3g2 .asf .wmv .flv.
- Entry materials will not be returned. Incomplete entries will not be considered.
Entry fee paid via Withoutabox. Entry fees are not refundable.
- 30 June 2010: Early submission deadline – $20*
- 15 August 2010: Final submission deadline – $30*
- 15 September 2010: Late deadline – $50*
*Discounted fees may apply through Withoutabox.