SCHLINGEL – the International Film Festival for Children and Young Audience gives an overview of current international productions and aims at motivating distributors and TV stations in Germany to integrate these films into their programmes.
SCHLINGEL is an independent film festival with international competitions and various additional events. It takes place annually.
Only children and youth films completed after the 01 January 2009 can apply for the competitions.
The festival is organised by the association “Saechsischer Kinder und Jugendfilmdienst e.V.” and co-organised by the “Saechsische Landesanstalt für privaten Rundfunk und neue Medien”.
Submit your films to the available competitions.
- “S” International Children Film Competition: This competition is suitable for children aged 10 years or younger.
- “M” International Junior Film Competition: This competition is suitable for an audience aged 11 to 13 years.
- “L” International Youth Film Competition: The competition is suitable for young people aged 14 years and older.
- “XS” International Short Film Competition
- “D” Focus Germany: This competition is suitable for children as well as young adults.
The films for the festival competition programme will be selected by a special committee nominated by the festival organiser.
- “S” International Children Film CompetitionThe festival direction nominates a professional jury (consisting of film experts and experts from the cultural sector). The jury presents the Chemnitz Top Award which is endowed with €5,000.The awarding of the European Children’s Film Award, endowed with €5,000 too, is decided by a children’s jury (consisting of children from different European countries). They also nominate the awardee for the most convincing acting performance of a child.
- “M” International Junior Film CompetitionThe organiser nominates a professional jury (consisting of film experts and experts from the cultural sector) that presents the Top Award (€4,000). The junior jury decides on the Junior Film Award (€1,000).
- “L” International Youth Film CompetitionA youth jury (appointed by the organiser) presents the CineStar Youth Film Award (€1,000).
- “XS” International Short Film CompetitionThe International Short Film Competition is subdivided into two sections: short feature and short animation. In each section, a prize money of €500 is awarded.
- “D” Focus GermanyThe prize (€4,000) is awarded for current German productions or co-productions. Foreign films with a special German focus are also accepted. The DEFA Foundation appoints the jury.
- Only children and youth films completed after the 01.01.2009 can apply for the competitions.
- With the exception of the International Short Film Competition “XS”, the minimum length of the films should be 45 minutes.
- Previous presentations at other festivals do not exclude a participation in our competitions but national premieres are preferred.
- The films have to be available for our festival as a 35 mm cinema prints.
- In exceptional cases, especially at the International Short Film Competition, digital formats will be accepted.
- All competitions and awards are subject to modifications.
How to enter?
Screeners of films applying for the competitions should also be sent to Chemnitz by 16 July at the latest. Films from Non-EU countries have to be marked with the following statement:
“temporary import – for cultural purpose only, no commercial value”
For screening purpose, a DVD copy of the film in PAL or NTSC format with German or English subtitles is necessary.
Following documents should be attached the registration:
- DVD screener
- filled and signed application form
- stills and director’s portrait photograph for catalogue and press purpose
- dialogue list in English and/or German language
- short biography and filmography of the film maker
Postal Address:Saechsischer Kinder- und Jugendfilmdienst e.V.
International Film Festival for Children and
Young Audience SCHLINGEL
D – 09119 Chemnitz