Recognizing youth as powerful agents of social change in a world often characterized by intolerance, cultural and religious divisions, PLURAL+ is aimed at involving youth in addressing the key challenges in their communities related to migrant integration, inclusiveness, identity, diversity, human rights and social cohesiveness.
PLURAL+ invites young media makers up to 25 years of age to submit their videos.
Submit your videos to the Plural+ 2010 Youth Video Festival.
Videos must pertain to the topics of migration, diversity and related topics. Reflecting on these topics, videos should show the youth’s thoughts, experiences, opinions, questions and suggestions.
Videos may be of whatever type, style or genre that the entrant wishes – animated, documentary, drama, music video, comedy etc.
Videos should reflect the aims of the PLURAL+ Video Festival, which are:
- To recognize youth as agents of social change in a world often characterized by intolerance, and cultural and religious divisions.
- To involve youth in addressing questions on migrant integration, inclusiveness, identity, diversity, human rights and social inclusion wherever they be in the world.
- To encourage the practical contributions of young people in not just identifying constraints, but also in promoting a climate of respect and appreciation for each other.
The PLURAL+ JURY AWARD prizes will be awarded in three (3) age-based categories:
- 9 to 12 years old
- 13 to 17 years old
- 18 to 25 years old
The PLURAL+ Jury Awards will be awarded to one entrant per category and will be selected by an independent international jury.
The 3 winners of the PLURAL+ JURY AWARD will each receive $1000 US.
Additional awards will be given by collaborating partner agencies and may include equipment or professional opportunities.
Winning videos will receive broad recognition and exposure through wide multi-platform distribution of their work, including broadcast, satellite, internet, film festivals and DVD.
A prestigious international jury will announce the winners in New York during an event hosted at the Paley Center for Media on 12 November 2010, in New York.
- Entrants to PLURAL+ must be youth between the ages of 9-25 (as of 30 September 2010).
- The Entrant is the one person responsible for submitting the video.
- People appearing in the video do not have to be youth, however the videos must reflect the youth’s opinions or reflections about migration and diversity.
- Multiple youth may work together to make one video, as long as all members of the group are between the ages of 9-25.
- Other people involved in the making of the video (e.g. educators, teachers, instructors, etc.) might be over 25 as long as their creative role is minimal (group coordination, technical support, renting equipment, etc.)
- If multiple youth work together on one video then the video will be judged in the age category of the eldest youth.
- Immediate family members (siblings, children and grandchildren) of jurors for the PLURAL+ Video Festival are not eligible to enter the Video Festival.
- All videos must be submitted on DVDs.
- Videos that are not in English must have English subtitles.
- All videos must have a total minimum running time of 1 minute and a total maximum running time of 5 minutes, including title and end credits.
How to enter?
Send your entry packages to the following address:c/o UN – Alliance of Civilizations
405 Lexington ave, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10174
Each entry package must contain:
- A fully completed and signed entry form, including co-signature by a parent, guardian, teacher or responsible adult if the entrant a minor in his/her country of residence.
- A DVD of the video.
Entry packages must be received by the PLURAL+ Video Festival before Midnight (New York City Time GMT -5 hours) on Wednesday, 30 September 2010. Entries received after this time will not be considered.