The Photocrati Fund offers $5,000 grants to non-professional photographers to undertake important humanitarian and environmental photography projects. The goal is to identify outstanding, up-and-coming photographers and give them the resources necessary to pursue projects that will have a tangible and positive effect on the world.
One grant is offered in 2010. The application deadline is 15 March 2010, and the award will be announced in June 2010. Awardees become Photocrati Fellows for the calendar year from the announcement of their award until the announcement of the following year’s award.
The goal is to identify outstanding, up-and-coming photographers and give them the resources necessary to pursue projects that will have a tangible and positive effect on the world.
Selection of the grantee will be based on the Board’s determination, in its sole discretion, of the following:
- Photographic skill and promise of the applicant (in terms of photographic vision and technique) based on the applicant’s images in his/her web portfolio.
- The degree to which the applicant’s non-photographic background and training has prepared him/her to undertake the project.
- The environmental, cultural or humanitarian significance of the project and its potential contributions.
- The feasibility and viability of the completion of the proposed project within the projected timeframe and with the grant funding.
- The quality of the overall application packet.
Photocrati Fund Grants are in the amount of $5,000. The funds are intended to cover the costs of travel, lodging, and expenses for up to one-month of full time photography, though they may be used in other ways by Photocrati Fellows who pursue projects in their home region.
The funds will be disbursed in two portions. Photocrati Fellows will receive $4,000 up-front prior to the project. The remaining $1,000 will be disbursed to the Grantee upon completion of the project and upon receipt of a Project Report and an image portfolio from the project.
The Grantee will have 12 months from the announcement of the award to complete his or her project and to provide Photocrati Fund staff with a Project Report and captioned Photo Essay of 20-30 images from the Photocrati Fund project.
- Applicants must be non-professional photographers who derive less than 50% of their income from photography or photography-related activities.
- The grant is open to photographers over 21 years of age from any country worldwide, but applicants should have a proven ability to produce outstanding imagery, as well as the background necessary to carry out their proposed project.
- Each submission may contain only one project proposal.
- Each applicant may apply only once per submission cycle.
- Applications are not carried over to the following year.
- Applicants should not send any hard copies or printed materials (no prints, books, CDs/DVDs or transparencies).
- The Photocrati Fund Panel will not review any of these materials, and they cannot be returned to applicants.
How to enter?
All applications must be submitted in English, online to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. The application consists of just two items: a one-page project statement and bio, and a link to your online portfolio submitted via email.