The Ottawa International Animation Festival (OIAF) is the largest event of its kind in North America, a major film event attracting attendees from around the world. Film buffs, art lovers and cartoon fans won’t want to miss this year’s great line up of screenings taking place at ByTowne Cinema, National Gallery of Canada, Canadian Museum of Civilization, Empire Theatres Rideau Centre and Arts Court Theatre.
Over 1800 delegates from the animation community attended last year including animators, production executives, educators, students and fans.
Any frame by frame or computer-assisted animated film or video made for cinema, television or internet may be entered.
When deciding how to submit your film to, choose the category that best describes your film’s production environment, distribution method and/or purpose:
- Feature Film
- School Competition
- New Media Competition
- Independent Short Films Competition
- Student Animation Competition
- Commissioned Films Competition
- Films/Videos Made for Children
Please visit the Categories page on the official website for detailed category descriptions.
The juries will present the following awards:
- Grand Prize for Best Animated Feature
- Grand Prize for Best Independent Short Animation
- Grand Prize for Best Student Animation
- Grand Prize for Best Commissioned Animation
- Ottawa International Animation Festival accepts and encourages films from all over the world. Keep in mind that the Festival cannot cover customs fees for preview DVDs. Filmmakers whose works are selected and plan on attending the OIAF will receive an invitation letter to aid in organizing the appropriate travel documents.
- Any frame by frame or computer-assisted animated film or video made for cinema, television or internet may be entered. Only works completed after 15 June 2009 will be accepted.
- Works submitted for selection can be presented on DVD in either NTSC or PAL. Entries to the New Media Competition may also be submitted on CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or website link in Flash format (SWF) ONLY.
- The official languages of the Festival are English and French. If possible, submit your work with an English dialogue track or with English subtitles otherwise, please submit an English dialogue script.
- Each entry is considered for the Official Competition and the out-of-competition Showcase screenings. The Artistic Director will select the films in competition and showcase. Works will be judged within their category for conceptual, technical and aesthetic innovation and excellence.
- DVDs submitted for selection will not be returned. All works submitted for selection will be made available to the general public during the span of the Festival for screening in the Animation Resource Library.
How to enter?
The entry form must be submitted online by 11:59 PM (Eastern Standard Time) on 1 June 2010. The preview film must reach the festival office no later than 15 June 2010 or it will not be considered.
The entrant must include the director’s biography, director’s photo (300 dpi) and a minimum of 3 stills (300 dpi) from the film. These files can be uploaded online, submitted on disc or emailed to email@example.com.
Send preview dvds and additional documents to:Ottawa International Animation Festival
Suite 120, 2 Daly Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 6E2 Canada