A good photograph tells a story. But it tells a slightly different story to every viewer. The stories are fleeting, disappearing from the viewers’ minds in the moments it takes to turn a page or walk to the next gallery. Open to Interpretation captures these stories, pairing fine art photographers and writers in an international juried book competition.
This competition is an opportunity to have your work selected by jurors prominent in their field – gallery owners, publishers, editors, renowned practitioners, leading consultants and others who can influence your growth as an artist.
Any amateur or professional photographer (worldwide) may submit work for consideration.
Open to Interpretation is a juried book competition of photography, poetry, fiction and creative non-fiction. Each book begins with a themed call for photos. The chosen photos become the literary inspiration for the writers’ submissions.
A book is created that matches each winning photo with two stories or poems that offer different interpretations of the image. The unique collaboration adds new dimensions to both the photos and the written word.
The theme for this competition is: Water’s Edge
Water’s ever changing surface and symbolism has held our imagination since ancient times. Images that capture water’s transition are as prolific as water itself; they can be found everywhere. We are all drawn to water for a myriad of different reasons – all subjects (color or black & white) are eligible.
- $300 Juror’s Selection Award Photography
- $300 Juror’s Selection Award Writing or Poetry
Being selected to be part of this publication puts you in great company with other photographers, writers, and poets. This publication is dedicated to providing a place for artists to gain recognition and exposure for their work. All participants chosen, if so desired, will have their name, web page and/or mailing address indexed in the book so as they can be contacted directly regarding their work.
- Any amateur or professional photographer (worldwide) may submit work for consideration.
- The work must be original and created by the person entering the work.
- All images created via any form of photography will be accepted for consideration, including but not limited to film, digital, alternative process, mixed media, digital manipulations, old world processes, pinhole, solar etchings, iPhone, etc. Either color or black & white is acceptable.
- All images must be able to be submitted electronically.
- Previously published material for which non-exclusive rights were granted may be entered as long as you still maintain the rights.
- For a photo in which a person is recognizable, you must secure a model release from the subject and provide upon request.
How to enter?
Submit your entries online on the official website.
- Early Submission Fee: $30 for 5 images; $10 each additional
- Fee After 26 April 2011: $35 for 5 images; $10 each additional