Michelin North America, Inc. (“Michelin”) created the annual Michelin Challenge Design™ to celebrate, promote, publicize and give visibility to original creative thinking and innovation in vehicle design.
By embracing and supporting design, Michelin aims to establish a closer relationship with the design community, combining technical innovation with transportation design to create vehicles that consumers want to buy and will enjoy driving.
Michelin Challenge Design is a collection of events and activities reflecting Michelin North America’s interest in and commitment to innovative design. Michelin’s corporate culture places a high value on design and innovation as important to consumer satisfaction and maintaining Michelin’s role as the industry leader.
Utilizing our position as a leading member of the automotive industry and our unique position as a non-OEM exhibitor at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS), Michelin offers a challenge to designers around the world, individuals and small and large companies, to enthusiastically create, bring forward and display, significant design work that would normally not have an opportunity to be shown at a major auto show.
The world is poised for a decade of unprecedented change in transportation design. Evolutions in technology, legislation, consumer taste and mobility needs will transform the automotive landscape worldwide. This is your chance to predict, or even influence, the vehicles that will be driven ten years from now in the year 2021.
Your challenge is to design a vehicle that people in your area (country /region) will enjoy using in the year 2021. This vehicle should answer the preferences, lifestyle and transportation needs for the population in your part of the world.
The Michelin Challenge Design Jury will be evaluating entries based on the following:
- Relevance to the theme.
- Concept originality.
- Design value and quality.
- Developmental potential.
- Design displayability.
In consideration for display properties, those chosen to display will be eligible for recognition on the Michelin Challenge Design Web site and Michelin Challenge Design displays and events.
- Michelin Challenge Design is open to residents of any country. Parents or legal guardians of entrants less than the age of majority in their state, province or country must sign the MCD Questionnaire and the MCD Entry Form. Michelin Challenge Design is void where prohibited by law. All entries for the Michelin Challenge Design must be received by June 11 of the previous year.
- Employees of Michelin, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, officers, directors, distributors, suppliers, agents, representatives, advertising, promotional or judging agencies, authorized Michelin tire dealers and distributors, and their immediate family members and those living in the same household, or anyone working on this project, are not eligible to participate.
- By participating you agree to be bound by the Rules and Procedures of this challenge and by the decisions of the Michelin Challenge Design Jury and of Michelin, whose decisions shall be final and binding in all respects. Any entries or displays may be withdrawn or declined for any reason at any time.
- Entrants must include all data and information and fulfill all requirements as required by the Michelin Challenge Design Rules and Procedures and Entry Form in order for the entry to be valid. Entrants must provide all data and information that is accurate and complete. If more than one person designed an entry, all designer names must appear on the “Designer(s) Name(s)” portion of the Michelin Challenge Design Entry Form.
- Student designers who are working with an engineering department, at a university, are required to take the lead role in the development of any submitted work. This means that the designer has final say to all technical questions that will have an impact on the functional and aesthetic result of the design work.
How to enter?
- For Internet entries, visit the official website and complete and submit the online Michelin Challenge Design Entry Form with all accompanying required materials.
- For mail entries, visit the official website and complete and print the Michelin Challenge Design Entry Form PDF file and mail it to: Michelin Challenge Design, c/o Event Management Corp., 1500 W. Big Beaver Rd. Suite # 102, Troy, MI 48084
- For fax entries, visit the official website and complete and print the Michelin Challenge Design Entry Form PDF file and fax it and all accompanying required materials to 248-816-2887.
- Entry forms must be accompanied by photographs, drawings and/or computer-generated images.
- Incomplete entry forms are subject to disqualification.