Entries have opened to the 2010 Melbourne Design Awards (MDA) – a new awards program in association with the Design Institute of Australia, Victorian Branch that honours Melbourne’s best design across more than fifty categories. The MDA will culminate with a gala ceremony announcing the winners on 8th December 2010.
The inaugural Melbourne Design Awards are bringing together 15 education organisations, 6 industry groups and 55 categories. All focused on celebrating design, from the people who create the works to the people who sponsor the projects.
The awards also offer an opportunity for students to enter and have their work compete alongside industry professionals.
The aim of the Melbourne Design Awards concept is to:
- Celebrate those who produce excellent design works.
- Celebrate those who sponsor, fund or commission design projects.
- Promote and encourage participation and conversation in all aspects of design.
- Support the education and design media partners that restock and promote the design industry.
The Melbourne Design Awards model allows for three crucial aspects of involvement from the design community; it connects with the public, peers and supports an expert panel. Each of these groups provides a critical eye and opinion on design.
The Awards showcase leading design projects in a selection of handpicked design-orientated cities through a broad range of categories covering Object, Product Design both consumer and business; Space, Architectural and Interior Design projects; Fashion, Accessories, Mens and Womenswear; Experience, Digital Design, Events to Radio; Visual, Graphic Design, Illustration to Print and Photography; and Services to the design industry, such as design retailers, events, publications and education.
The Melbourne Design Awards will reward and recognise over 50 categories of design excellence and achievement and will culminate in the Best of Awards.
The Best of Awards will be provided in the following categories:
- Best Creator of Design
- Best Commissioner of Design
- Best Manufacturer of Design Products
- Best Design Publication
- Best Design Retailer
- Best Design Event
- Entry is open globally to any designer, design company, student or company or individual who has commissioned design, provided they are active in the Melbourne market (Australia).
- Entries must be created between 1 January 2009 and 31 October 2010.
- Officers, directors, and employees of the Organiser, as well as those individuals’ immediate family members and the residents of their households, are not eligible to enter.
- All entries must comply with the applicable Australian and International Standards for the intended marketplace.
- Each category has select description criteria in which the entrant must adhere to. Submissions that do not adhere to descriptive criteria will be disqualified.
- Submissions, where applicable, may be entered into multiple categories provided an entry fee is paid for each category, and they fulfil the descriptive criteria of each category. Failure to fulfil criteria will result in disqualification from the specified category.
- Upon submission, the entrant warrants that the design is their original and individual work, and active in the Melbourne market. The Organiser reserves the right to request further evidence such as design concepts, applicable patents, trademarks or IP ownership.
How to enter?
Entries are submitted online and reviewed by a panel of industry peers to ensure they meet the entry criteria. Once an entry has been deemed valid it will be made open for public and peer viewing, comment and voting.
To submit your entry, visit the official website and select a Design Group or Discipline. Click the “Enter Now” button for the group or discipline of your choice and you’ll initiate the submission process.
The costs of entering the awards are:
- For student, $65 inc. GST per entry.
- For professional or design studio $250 inc. GST for the first entry, and $125 inc. GST for every subsequent entry.