MADFAB is a new design competition in which students design a piece of furniture that becomes a permanent part of the campus. This year’s challenge: design a digitally fabricated low table or bench for the MIT Student Center. Registration is free.
MADFAB is open to any MIT graduate or undergraduate student, as individuals or in teams.
Design a digitally fabricated low table or bench for the MIT Student Center.
- Cash prizes: $1000 first place, $500 second place, $250 third place.
- Winning piece featured at the prestigious Furniture Society’s Conference, held at MIT 16-19 June 2010
- Permanent recognition. The winning design will be kept as a permanent collection to be used in the student center with a plaque crediting the designers.
- Design must be original and new.
- Design that is functional, durable, and able to be fabricated with CNC equipment in the Architecture Wood Shop or MIT Hobby Shop.
- Detailing that expresses how CNC fabrication informs design using sheet material, i.e. plywood, MDF, flake board, cardboard, sheet metal, and plastics.
- Bonus for efficient, cost effective use of material and or reuse of discarded materials.