Attention faculty, students, and professional graphic designers!
Here is an opportunity to develop a logotype and a theme line for the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, which will become part of an extended branding campaign. The Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication is a nonprofit, educational association of journalism and mass communication educators, students and media professionals. The Association’s mission is to advance education, foster scholarly research, cultivate better professional practice and promote the free flow of communication.
The winning entry will receive $1,000.
Develop a logotype and a theme line for the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, which will become part of an extended branding campaign.
The logo must use the letters “AEJMC” and communicate what our association stands for in an immediate, effective, and memorable manner.
The logo design entered in this competition must:
- focus on the letters AEJMC (all caps, all lower case, or a combination of U&lc)
- be adaptable to multiple uses and platforms (print and online), i.e., directory, newsletters, publications, nametags, and a variety of promotional materials. The logo must not lose impact or legibility when significantly reduced or enlarged.
- work well with and retain a sense of balance and internal integrity whether it stands alone or is used in combination with the full name (Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication).
- be limited to two colors (black plus one color) and reproducible as black and gray when printed in black only.
- show no gradations or blends.
- be original and authentic. (It cannot include any copyrighted elements)
The slogan (also called strap line or catch line) serves like an advertising phrase and must be poignant, brief, and memorable. It must work well with the logo.
The slogan entered in conjunction with the logo must:
- project the purpose of AEJMC in a poignant manner as it approaches its second century
- be original and authentic. (To test originality, put it in quotation marks and run it through Google.)
- be limited to five words or less.
- not include objectionable language.
- be understood globally.
- work well in conjunction with the logo. (Show two applications!)
- First prize winner (logo & slogan): $1,000
- Second prize: $750
- Third prize: $500.
In case the membership selects the winning logo* from one entry and the slogan from another, then the award will be split as follows: The logo winner shall receive $700 and the slogan winner $300.
- This contest is open to students and professional graphic designers.
- Each entrant is limited to one entry consisting of logo, slogan, and at least two applications.
- Only one submission per person is permitted.
- Entries must be submitted electronically. All entries will be blind-reviewed.
- The designer of the winning entry must be willing to work with the leadership of AEJMC if an adjustment or modification is recommended by the judges.
- The winner will be announced at the AEJMC annual conference in Denver in August.
How to enter?
Submissions must be sent via email to AEJMCcompetition@AEJMC.org.
A submission must consist of the following four items:
- Small AEJMC logo (approx. 1” x 2”; jpg format)
- Large AEJMC logo with slogan integrated (approx. 4” x 6”; jpg format)
- Application: Publication cover (6” x 9”; PDF format)
- Application: Name badge (approx. 3” x 4”; PDF format)