The purpose of the contest is to foster interest in the relationship of literature to the visual arts through the design of a hypothetical book cover for Eugenio Montale’s poem The Eel (L’anguilla).
This is an ideas competition only: as of this writing there are no plans for the winner’s work to be featured on a forthcoming edition of Montale’s work.
The winner of this contest gets a $500 US cash prize.
Create a design of a hypothetical book cover for Eugenio Montale’s poem The Eel (L’anguilla).
Submissions will be evaluated on how creatively they address the poem’s themes. Entrants are encouraged to visit the Wikipedia entry for Eugenio Montale and to review the annotations in Jonathan Galassi’s Eugenio Montale, Collected Poems 1920-1954 (Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1998).
There will be one winner. The winning submission will receive a cash award of $500 US and will be featured on the Venus febriculosa’s website.
- This international competition is open to anyone 18 years or older.
- Graphic design students are especially encouraged to enter.
- Only one entry per person is allowed.
- All design entries must be an original artwork of the entrant’s own creation.
- Use of copyrighted materials not owned by the entrant will result in disqualification from the contest.
- Artwork must contain the words “THE EEL” and “EUGENIO MONTALE.” No other words or phrases shall be used unless they are used in a purely graphical manner.
- Only submissions of the front cover will be accepted.
- Copyrights of all entries shall remain the property of the artists.
- The contests sponsors retain the right to reproduce any of the designs on Venus febriculosa’s website, as well as in any academic publications resulting from this contest.
How to enter?
Submissions must be in digital JPEG format only and shall be sent to both email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions must also include:
- E-Mail Address
- Country, and
- School Attending (if Student).