Laka invites designers from around the world to submit their ideas of “architecture that reacts”. The main focus of the competition is on the solutions that develop through a process of changes and adjustments.
Laka Competition is an international annual competition that seeks innovative ideas in architecture, design and technology that are capable of reacting and dynamically adjusting to the conditions of the environment (either natural, social, or built).
Three main prizes and approximately ten honorable mentions will be selected for 2018.
The subject of the competition is architectural, design, or technological solutions that are capable of dynamic interaction with their surroundings.
Participants are strongly encouraged to look for the solutions not only in the definition of the “building” itself, but foremost to present the interdisciplinary approach which takes benefits from disciplines such as robotics, mechanics, digital fabrication, biodesign and biofabrication, computational design, materials science, bioarchitecture, social sciences, industrial design, mobility.
Project’s location, scale, size, and program are left to participant’s choice.
Awards for 2018
Laureates of the main prizes will be
- Awarded $1.000 (USD) per team and
- invited to join the ‘Laka Perspectives’ book vol. 2.
- Laureates of the main prizes and honorable mentions will be
- provided with feedback on their designs by selected experts from the Laka Accelerator,
- presented on Laka’s websites and promoted among Laka’s network of partners, and
- included in future Laka publications related to the competition.
Laureates of the main prizes will be invited to join the ‘Laka Perspectives’ book vol. 2 among such leaders as Toyo Ito (Laureate of the Pritzker Prize 2013 and UIA Gold Medal in 2017, Founder of Toyo Ito & Associates), Carlo Ratti (Director of the Senseable City Lab at MIT, Founder of Carlo Ratti Associati), Peter Kuczia (Founder of Kuczia Architects), Elizabeth Monoian and Robert Ferry (Founding Partners of Land Art Generator Initiative), and Kamil Łabanowicz (Team Leader at AUDI AG).
2018 Competition Schedule:
- Registration opens in April 2018
- Early Registration (1st April–1st June, 2018)
- Regular Registration (2nd June–1st October, 2018)
- Late Registration (2nd October–1st November, 2018)
- Project submission deadline: 2nd November 2018
- Jury deliberation: November, 2018
- Winners’ announcement: 1st December 2018
UTC time zone for all dates.
Laka Competition 2018 – Entry Fees
- Early Registration: $50
- Regular Registration: $75
- Late Registration: $100