Interieur 2010 proudly presents the 21st edition of its international Design Competition. The Interieur 2010 Design Competition is a biennial design competition. It is organized by the Interieur Foundation, located in Kortrijk, Belgium.
The Foundation will display all entries conforming to the rules in an exhibition at the Design Biennale Interieur 2010, from 15 to 24 October 2010 at Kortrijk Xpo. The competition jury will award a number of prizes, and the winners will be announced during the inauguration of the exhibition at the Biennale.
Total prize money amounts to €40,000, including 2 Workshops at the Vitra Summer School and 2 stands in the Idea Fair.
Interieur was launched in 1968 as Europe’s first International Design Biennale, with a focus on product development and creative innovation. The Interieur Foundation’s not-for-profit status allows for the event to focus on an ambitious programme of side events, including exhibitions, a reputed International Design Competition, debates and lectures. Interieur’s guests of honour have included Raymond Loewy, Gio Ponti, Philippe Starck, Alessandro Mendini, Dieter Rams, Andrea Branzi, Jasper Morrison, Rolf Fehlbaum, Konstantin Grcic, Alfredo Häberli, and, in 2008, Jaime Hayon.
The theme of the 21st Interieur Design Competition is: Designs for a new world.
The world is changing fast. We are living in turbulent, uncertain times. The music industry, the automobile sector and the press are struggling. Pop culture seems to have lost its momentum. We spend more time online than in our living homes.
- How can design cope with the new world?
- Should design be sustainable?
- Should it be virtual?
- Should design make us think?
- Or should it make us feel good?
In short: design a product that is relevant right now.
- Interieur Foundation / Grand Prize – €7000 and 1 stand in the Idea Fair
- Technogym (for a product that promotes well being) – €10000 and 1 stand in the Idea Fair, awarded by the Interieur Foundation
- Design Vlaanderen – €5000
- Visitor’s award (award ed by the City of Kortrijk) – €4500
- Delta Light – €2500
- Designregio Kortrijk – €2500
- Kortrijk Xpo – €2500
- Vitra Belgium – 2 places in the Summer Workshop 2011, organised by the Vitra Design Museum in collaboration with the Centre Pompidou.
- All designers, design teams, students or schools, of any age or nationality, may take part in the competition.
- Manufacturers are not eligible.
- Each participant is limited to 2 entries.
- The competition is restricted to objects which conform to the theme as decided by the Foundation.
- Projects concerning architecture and town planning will not be allowed. In case of dispute, the jury will decide about eligibility. The decision of the jury is final.
- Only prototypes are accepted for the competition, and entries may not be in production on 15 October 2010, when the results of the competition will be announced.
- Participants are responsible for all charges regarding delivery, return, insurance, customs, VAT concerning import/export and patent and design protection.
- Participants will bear all the costs and are also fully responsible for any legal consequences concerning intellectual property rights.
- The Interieur Foundation cannot be held responsible for any damage or loss.
- Noncompliance with the competition rules will lead to disqualification.
- The Interieur Foundation will not enter into verbal or written correspondence about the rules of the competition or the decisions of the jury.
How to enter?
Submit the fully completed registration form, no later than 15 July 2010 by e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org or by post. A copy or a downloaded version of the form will also be acceptable.
Add a short explanatory text, printed in English (500 words maximum). This document must also specify the prototype’s dimensions and weight. The identification number (no names) of the project must feature in the top right hand corner. More information about this number is to be found under the heading Personal identification number.
Add at least 1 image of the prototype (print or jpg). The identification number of the project must feature in the top right hand corner of this document.
The registration form must be accompanied by a copy of the proof of payment.
Please read the Competition entry form for details on how to pay the entry fee.
If you decide to send your entry by post, send all documents to:Interieur Foundation
Interieur 2010 Design
The participation fee is €100 per project. Payment must be made no later than 15 July 2010. The registration form must be accompanied by a copy of the proof of payment.
Only payments via bank transfer will be accepted: no cheques or cash.