In 2010, the European Year for Combating Poverty and Social Exclusion, Europe wishes to raise the following question, crucial to Europeans: “How can we put an end to poverty and social exclusion?”
Given the importance the Socialist Group in the Committee of the Regions attaches to this issue, it has decided to devote its photographic competition, now in its third year, to the above topic.
This competition is open to young amateur photographers – residents in EU Member States.
Take your camera out and about and put together a documentary comprising 3 to 6 images illustrating initiatives taken to help the most deprived sections of the population, thus contributing to the fight against poverty and social exclusion in your area, town or region.
Our aim is to promote, through this competition, a society which supports and improves quality of life, social well-being and equal opportunities for all.
Be positive and inventive and give a free rein to your creativity!
The jury will select the winning photographs on the basis of the following criteria:
- Compliance with the set topic: “In search of solidarity“;
- Impact of the message conveyed;
- Originality and creativity.
- 1st prize: A semi-professional “full format” digital “DSLR” photographic kit worth approximately 3500€, comprising a reflex camera (“24×36” sensor), two single lens, an external flash, memory card and camera bag.
- 2nd prize: A digital “DSLR” photographic kit worth approximately 2000€, comprising a camera (“APS-C” sensor), single lens, external flash, memory card and camera bag.
- 3rd prize: A digital “DSLR” photographic kit worth approximately 1000€, comprising a camera (“APS-C” sensor), single lens, external flash, memory card and camera bag.
- Public prize: For this year edition, the preselected photo documentaries will be submitted to an online public vote, taking place at the end of the competition.The winner of the public prize will be awarded with: An A3+ format photographic printer and a graphics tablet – worth approximately 1000€.
In addition to the prizes, winners will be invited to Brussels in November 2010 to attend a conference on “Combating poverty and social exclusion “.
Winning photos will also be displayed as an exhibition in the headquarters of the Committee of the Regions.
- The competition is for young Europeans aged 18 to 30.
- Entrants should be resident in one of the 27 EU Member States.
- The competition is only open to amateur photographers. Professional photographers and anyone else working in the field of photography will be automatically excluded from the competition.
- Only one application per participant is permitted.
- Photos should be uploaded on to the PES Group website in JPEG format – up to a maximum of 800 pixels along the longest edge.
- The image files should be named like this: name_firstname_01.jpg; name_firstname_02.jpg; name_firstname_03.jpg
- You must keep a copy of the images in the original format. All entrants must be able to supply the images in high resolution. Images must be printable in 20cm x 30cm format at a minimum of 300 dpi (dots per inch).
How to enter?
Submit a photo documentary comprising 3 to 6 photos illustrating “solidarity” as an effort to fight poverty and social exclusion.