Show your civic pride (and maybe win a prize) by creating a 3D portrait of your community and sharing it with the world. You have the power to get your town on the map – and there’s no bigger map than Google Earth. The Google Model Your Town Competition is open to people from all over the world.
Having a 3D model of your town in Google Earth helps residents and visitors understand it in a way that flat maps and photographs can’t. You can be a local hero by making a contribution to your town’s future.
All you have to do is build 3D models of the buildings in your community. Model whichever structures you think are necessary to show the planet what’s special about your town.
The winning individual/team will receive:
- USD$10,000 for the town’s public school district (or international equivalent)
- a visit from a Google team, along with an event in the winners’ honor
- a video profile of the winning team and their town, to be featured on YouTube
- a virtual tour of the winning town that will be added to the Google Earth website
- international publicity in the form of blog posts, tweets and other media
- additional coverage on Google websites
- Modeling teams may include up to six members.
- Buildings can be modeled with SketchUp, a free and relatively easy-to-use 3D modeling program from Google. You use SketchUp in combination with Google Earth to give models a precise geographic location.
- Buildings can also be modeled with Google Building Maker if your town is located in an area where Building Maker data is available. These models can also be edited and improved with Google SketchUp.
- Each completed building model should be uploaded to a dedicated town collection on the Google 3D Warehouse.
How to enter?
To enter, each team must complete and submit an online entry form.