The Italian Jewellery Awards and the consortia of Polo Orafo Campano, under the scientific consultancy of the POLI.DESIGN – Consortium of the Milan Politecnico – is holding an international design competition for designers under 35 years of age.
The competition seeks to inspire new ideas regarding innovative use of techniques and materials linked to traditional Campania goldsmithing and jewellery making, aiming to capture a contemporary style or forms/styles of Campania arts or which takes traditional materials and techniques of Campania jewellery to different areas of merchandise.
The competition is divided into 3 categories:
- Materials and techniques of the Campania jewellery. (materials such as coral, shellstone and lava stone, as well as techniques such as cameo, in a contemporary look)
- Shapes and styles of Campania arts (the jewellery in enriched with formal or stylistic elements belonging to the Campania artistic heritage – paintings, sculptural, archeological, decorative, etc – interpreted in contemporary style. There are no limits to materials or techniques employed, as long as they belong to the art of jewellery making)
- New uses of materials and techniques of Campania jewellery (coral, shellstone lava stone and cameo open up to different merchandise categories and make their way into consumer scenarios that go beyond traditional jewellery.
Designs shall strongly be selected on the basis of originality, degree of innovation, ability to express forms, materials and techniques linked to Campania excellence in a contemporary style.
The spirit of experimental designs shall focus importance, while blending with the more functional and ergonomic characteristics of all jewellery. Particular attention and appraisal shall go to a user-centered design, where design takes on a methodological role, straying from a pure aesthetic nature.
Winning designs will be announced in occasion of the final evening of the Italian Jewellery Awards 2010 (6-10 February 2011).
- First prize: €2000
- Second prize: €1500
- Third prize: €500
- The competition is open to all Italian and foreign designers that are within 35 years of age at 31 December 2010. The competition is strictly individual, and each participant may submit one design per category of different competition. Furthermore, each design must be submitted by a separate competition application procedure. All designs must be totally original and expressly created for the competition.
- Competition participation is effective upon delivery of project materials within indicated due dates, which implies full and unconditional acceptance of competition terms. Moreover, the participant has no reserves in allowing the duplication of all material presented/produced, on any forms of publication and by any means of printed text constituting promotional or informative materials related to the event.
- The participant assures that the above-authorized purposes do not infringe on third-party rights, such as, for example, authors, participants withdrawn from the competition and permitted assigns.
- Furthermore, the participant fully recognizes automatic disqualification should any condition be infringed. Subscription to the competition automatically exonerates the organization and jury from third-party liabilities over disputes regarding damages relevant to exhibition or false claims of property ownership.
- All participants shall maintain exclusive design property rights.
- No materials submitted for the competition shall be returned.
How to enter?
All design materials must be submitted by hand, mail or courier strictly by Noon on 5 July, 2010 at:Universal Marketing sas
Viale Palmiro Togliatti, 1663
00155 Rome, Italy
The package must clearly include the heading “concorso internazionale di design Gioiello Campano – Campania Jewellery international design competition”. The valid date relates to package reception, not to the postal stamp.
The following must be submitted to take part in the competition:
- Maximum 2 designs in A3 in vertical (42 x 29.7 cm), black and white or color, applied to a solid and lightweight support (max. thickness 5 mm).
- A brief summary (1000 characters with spaces) regarding the criteria selected in elaborating the design, including any pre-design sketches that illustrate design progression.
- Brief participant CV.
- General participant information (first and last name, birth date, address, citizenship, phone number, email, profession, design title, competition category).
- Privacy disclaimer “I undersigned, consent to the processing and use of my personal data, in compliance to law 675/96 and all following modifications. I fully and unconditionally accept all competition terms. Signature”.
- CD with all materials requested (images in jpeg or tiff, 300 dpi resolution, 15 cm minimum base, word file) The CD cover must include artists first and last name, title and design image, competition category and email.