CIWEM’s Environmental Photographer of the Year honors amateur and professional photographers who use their ability to raise awareness of environmental and social issues. The competition encourages entries that are contemporary, creative, resonant, challenging, original and beautiful. But most of all, we want your pictures to inspire people around the world to start taking care of our environment.
The exhibition is open to all professional and amateur, national and international photographers of all ages working with digital and film photography. However, you must ensure that the image quality meets the competition’s criteria as stated below.
Submit your images in the categories below.
Each picture must be assigned to only one of the categories below but you may enter more than one picture into a category. There is a maximum of seven images per entrant.
- Mott MacDonald’s Changing Climates
- Innovation in the Environment (New Category for 2010)
- The Natural World
- The Underwater World (New Category for 2010)
- Quality of Life
- A View From the Western World (New Category for 2010)
- Young Environmental Photographer of the Year – Under 16
- Young Environmental Photographer of the Year – Under 21
Please visit the official website for detailed information.
Individual pieces of work will be judged on five qualities:
- Impact – does it illustrate immediate, subtle or resonant messages?
- Creativity – is it unusual, thoughtful, beautiful, subversive or ironic?
- Originality – is the subject treated differently, and is the subject matter new?
- Composition – consider the perspective, balance, clarity of meaning and focus of statement
- Technical Quality – consider clarity, focus, lighting, exposure, and colour
- Receive international recognition as the Environmental Photographer of the Year
- Receive a share of the £3,500 prize fund
- Receive excellent media coverage in international print and online publications
- Have your winning work take part in a roving exhibition throughout the year
- Earn money from sales of limited edition prints during launch exhibition, with your permission *
* 20 limited edition prints of each of the winning and runner up images will be sold. Photographers will be asked their permission for their prints to be sold, entering a contract to receive 50% of sales revenues. Photographers can refuse to enter this agreement when contacted by CIWEM. Price per print TBC.
- The photographer must be the sole author and owner of the copyright for all photos entered. Please retain the original digital file for reference; it may be necessary to prove ownership. Photographers retain the copyright of any image entered into the Environmental Photographer of the Year.
- Any images submitted must be supplied as JPEGs.
- All jpgs submitted must be named clearly with the photographer’s name and the title of the image.
- Do not send images in zip files or embedded into your email as we cannot process these.
- Please ensure that they are entered into the correct category. Entries will not be accepted if the category is not stated. The judges reserve the right to move images to a different category.
Please visit the official website for detailed rules.
How to enter?
Email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- Full Name:
- Age if entering the Under 16 or Under 21 categories:
- Camera make and model:
- Where, when and what: (you are encouraged to submit as much information as you wish as this may later be used in press releases and during the exhibition):
- Any other information that you think is relevant to the competition and will enhance your entry