“Earth Through a Lens” is a juried photographic competition sponsored by the Sustainability Commission of the City of Palm Springs (CA) to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Earth Day. We will display the photographs of approximately 30 finalists for the month of April, 2010 on world famous Palm Canyon Drive in downtown Palm Springs.
The images chosen will focus on beauty in the natural environment, the degradation of the environment by human activity, and attempts to reclaim or restore spoiled habitats. In sum, the photographs will highlight the importance of developing a sustainable environment.
The 30 finalists will be asked to provide a print photograph and matt to allow uniform framing of the work. Their photo and descriptive and contact information will be published in an exhibit catalog. Three winning photographs will be selected with these photographers receiving cash prizes ranging from $500-$1500, plus a travel stipend to attend the award ceremony on 22 April 2010.
Submit your entries in the categories below. Photographs must be relevant to one of the following themes:
- The natural environment:
- Human impact on the planet:
- destruction or degradation
- restoration or renewal.
A representative number of photographs from each category will be included in the show so that a range of images showing the beauty of the planet, destruction or degradation of the environment by humans, and possibilities for renewal will be shown.
The three top prize winners (from among the 30 finalists), will be announced on Earth Day, 22 April 2010, and will receive prizes* of:
- $ 500.00
* Includes a travel stipend to attend the awards ceremony.
- Open to professional and amateur photographers living within North America.
- Submission of 1-3 JPEG images.
- Each of the 30 top entries must be printed at the photographers’ expense and submitted by 12 March along with a matt (if desired) so that the finished print can be placed in a frame measuring either 20 x 30” or 24 x 36”. These top entries will be displayed within storefronts along Palm Canyon Drive for the month of April, 2010 in Palm Springs. The top photographs will be published in Palm Springs Life magazine.
How to enter?
All entrants must first register at www.callforentry.org in order to gain access to the art calendar maintained by the Call for Entry website. This registration is free and requires minimal time and effort.
Photographers may submit up to 3 images with an entry fee of $35 for the initial image and $10 for each of 2 additional images.