Surtex is proud to present its 25th annual International Student Design Competition honoring outstanding art & design students for exceptional surface design work.
The designext competition is open at no cost to students around the world who are in their third or fourth year (junior or senior level) in a college or university and enrolled in a surface-design related curriculum.
Four winners will be selected, and will be given the unique opportunity to display their project at Surtex 2011.
This year Surtex challenges students to create a collection (minimum of 6, maximum of 9) of original surface designs to be used in a commercial interior in the year 2020.
Students are encouraged to think ahead, think future trends – 10 years down the road – to develop designs that will be used on fabrics, wall coverings, floor covering and various furnishings of their choice within the interior setting.
Four winners will be selected, and will be given the unique opportunity to display their project at Surtex 2011 (15 – 17 May 2011) in a designext “booth” setting. Winners will be given specific direction for their on-site presentation and will be required to create the materials for display.
In return, winners will:
- Receive mention in a special designext press release (going to several hundred trade and consumer press)
- Be featured in On The Surface newsletter
- Be included in various Surtex promotional materials and the show’s website
- Be provided hotel room in New York City during Surtex (5 nights)*
- Be given a daily monetary allowance (for meals, taxi) during the NYC visit
- Be included in numerous activities at Surtex to network and gain exposure in the marketplace. Activities include: 25th Anniversary Celebration, introduction to members of the press and key art & design professionals, admission to Surtex Conference Program sessions, and more.
- Have their portfolio professionally critiqued
- Have the opportunity to present their portfolio to Surtex participants
Students’ on-site display, portfolio, overall presentation and the ability to maximize their participation at Surtex will be reviewed by Show Management and judges during Show days. One student (of the four winners) will be selected to be honored Grand Prize, prior to the close of the Show. This prize includes:
- $1000 USD
- Special mention on Surtex website for one year
- Recommendation letters to prospective employers
* Students must provide their own transportation to/from New York City. Two students will share a room, as designated by Show Management.
- All entrants must be students in their 3rd or 4th year (junior or senior level) in a college/university, and be enrolled in a surface design-related curriculum.
- Winning students must be able to travel to New York City to participate in Surtex 2011.
How to enter?
The following requirements must be met to qualify the entry for judging. Each student must:
- Professionally present original artwork, demonstrating an understanding of surface design
- Be in his/her 3rd or 4th year (junior or senior level) in college/university
- One image should present the overall concept; other images should be the 6 surface designs and 3 additional surface designs are optional; images should each be sized approximately 500 pixels, only JPEG files accepted; each surface design must be labeled with its intended product application; do not write your name or the college/university name anywhere on the image.
- Submit a completed “Official Entry Form” along with your images.