The Design Matters 2 competition is a call for ideas to design a building block of an inclusive school environment that will uniquely enhance the quality of life for teens and adults with disabilities who participate in the Easter Seals VIP Academy.
All architects, designers, students, artists or persons who can contribute new ideas to this challenge are eligible to submit entries on Design Matters 2. Both individual and team entries are accepted.
The first place winner will be awarded $1,000 on a gala event in Florida, in April 2011.
This competition is a call for ideas to design a building block of an inclusive school environment that will uniquely enhance the quality of life for teens and adults with disabilities who participate in the Easter Seals VIP Academy.
Your design should support the program goals of providing these young adults with the vocational/life skills they require to lead fully productive lives. Traditionally little or no thought has been given to the environments in which these crucial services are delivered.
Utilizing inclusive design principles such as:
- Sensory Awareness
- Enhancing Learning
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Health and well-being
- Safety and Security
Your building block should consider (but not be limited to) the following spaces:
- Gym/Fitness Center
- Model residential apartment
- Outdoor access
- Small group spaces
- Individual study areas
- Personal Care and Therapy
- Technology Integration
- Storage (for physical disability aids, etc.)
Your designs can focus on all or some of the spaces listed above. Size and location are left to the discretion of the entrant.
Please consider that the registration deadline for the Design Matters 2 competition is 28 February 2011.
The first place winner will be awarded $1,000. The winner will be announced at a gala event to be held at Easter Seals SW Florida in April 2011.
The winning entry and honorable mentions will be featured on the Design Matters 2 and Easter Seals websites and Facebook pages.
- The Design Matters 2 competition is open to all architects, designers, students, artists or persons who can contribute new ideas to this challenge.
- No more than two (2) 18” x 24” presentation boards. The type and/or number of drawings submitted are up to the entrant.
- Entrant contact information should be noted on an 8 ½ x 11 sheet secured to the back of the board in a blank envelope.
- There shall be no markings or entrant identification on the front of the boards.
- Boards will not be returned to the entrant.
- Both individual and team entries are accepted.
How to enter?
Register on the competition’s official website and send your presentation boards on the address below.Easter Seals SW Florida
350 Braden Avenue
Sarasota, Florida 34243
Attn: VIP Competition