The d3 Natural Systems competition for 2011 invites architects, designers, engineers, and students to collectively explore the potential of analyzing, documenting, and deploying nature-based influences in architecture, interiors, and designed objects.
The competition calls for innovative proposals that advance sustainable thought and performance through the study of intrinsic environmental geometries, behaviors, and flows. By identifying, examining, and applying their structural order on form and function – bottom-up, performance-based solutions for limitless building typologies, functional programs, and material conditions may be realized.
An architecture of emergence suggests that design expression requires purpose beyond formal assumption and aesthetic experimentation itself.Concurrent with sustainable thought, the d3 Natural Systems competition assumes that architecture does not simply form, but rather perform various functions beyond those conventionally associated with buildings.Design submissions must be environmentally responsible while advancing inventive conceptual solutions. Although proposals should be technologically feasible, they may suggest fantastical architectural visions of a sustainable global future.
The d3 Natural Systems competition allows designers freedom to approach their creative process in a scale-appropriate manner – from large-scale master planning endeavors, to individual building concepts, to notions of interior detail.Accordingly, there are no restrictions on site, scale, program, or building typology.
Please consider the following deadlines:
- Registration deadline: 15 July 2011
- Submission deadline: 25 July 2011
- Category 1: Open category that calls for sustainable design proposals envisioned for worldwide site locations. All projects will be entered into this category.
- Special mention categories: All projects will be eligible for typology-specific special mentions per the discretion of the jury.
- Category 1:
- First Prize $1000 cash prize
- Second Prize $500 cash prize
- Third Prize $250 cash prize
- Special mention categories:
- Sustainable Building: Infrastructural
- Sustainable Building: Institutional
- Sustainable Building: Commercial
- Sustainable Building: Arts/Cultural
- Sustainable Building: Housing
- Sustainable Interior Architecture
- Sustainable Designed Object
- Sustainable New York Prize
- All architects, landscape architects, urban designers, interior architects, interior designers, industrial designers, engineers, and students are invited to participate.d3 encourages submissions authored by interdisciplinary design teams.
- Individual or group entries are accepted.
- No limit on the number of participants per team.
How to enter?
Register and submit your entries online through d3’s website.
- $25 USD – Student entry
- $50 USD – Professional entry