As part of deviantART’s sponsorship of Artists’ Alley at Comic-Con International: San Diego, Comic-Con will be providing two scholarships to emerging artists – one web-based comic artist and one traditionally-based comic artist – who will be guests of deviantART at Comic-Con.
The chosen artists will spend two days at Comic-Con, where they will be able to cruise the convention floor, attend panels, and be introduced by Comic-Con to prominent artists in the industry, with a chance to pick their brains and gain artistic inspiration right from the source.
Any emerging comic artist located anywhere in the world who is over the age of 18 can submit a Portfolio for consideration.
These scholarships will go to two emerging artists who are:
- Highly talented graphic artists looking to expand the reach of their work.
- Committed to the graphic comic arts. Show this by boasting your educational qualifications, experience in gallery shows, self-published works, or the quantity and quality of your work.
These scholarships will not be awarded to anyone who is professionally engaged or employed full-time in the graphic comic and publishing industries. Comic-Con is looking for unknown and under-appreciated artists with amazing skills.
Number of Scholarships
The recipients will each receive:
- Airfare for a two-day trip to San Diego, CA from their home base
- Hotel accommodations
- Day passes to Comic-Con
- A $50 per diem for food and other expenses
To be considered for the scholarships, you need to submit your Portfolio to the Comic-Con group on deviantART via a Note.
All applicants will be reviewed via a deviantART Portfolio. If you have not made a Portfolio previously, check out this blog on instructions to creating one. Free membership in deviantART is required to make a Portfolio.
Your Portfolio must contain:
- Only one Gallery of up to 18 images selected from your existing work. All other galleries will not be considered.
- Your contact information, including your full name, email, and city and country of residence.
- A very brief description of why you’re an emerging artist and why Comic-Con should choose you for the sponsorship. Insert this description in the Artist’s Bio page in the Portfolio.
- Your resume or CV, noting your educational and art experience. Do not attach your resume to your Note. Attach your resume where indicated on your Artist’s Bio page in the Portfolio.