The Mpls Photo Center currently has an open call for entry for an exhibit competition on the topic: Black & White, The Absence of Color. This is an invitation to present your dramatic black & white photo stories to wide audiences.
Without the distraction of color, other elements of photography stand out in black and white. Show the benefits of black & white photography, through your projects.
The Mpls Photo Center is where photo professionals and enthusiasts alike come together to work and learn, to discover and experience, to create, exhibit and become members of this unique community dedicated to photography and all its media and processes.
Remove Color, Embrace Black & White!
By removing color as one of our composition elements, we are left with fewer details to consider, and so our attention can focus on the other aspects of the shot. Black and white photos add an air of romance, class, timelessness and mystery.
Photographs that work well in black and white photography are those that have strong patterns, textures, angles, tones, shadows and light perspectives.
Mpls Photo Center, with this call, is asking you to tell your dramatic story through black and white photography.
When preparing images for uploading, please adhere to the following file specifications:
- sRGB or RGB color space (standard) – NOT CMYK (typically used by printing industry)
- Save files to 72 ppi resolution; flatten layers, 8 bit JPEG files (16 bit will not upload.)
- Sized to 1,280 pixels on the longest side, the other size width or height proportional
- JPG format, compression level 8 (medium). Compression level will not affect the quality of viewed images.
- Use period preceding jpg in the file name. Characters (!@#$%^&*()_+) will result in uploading problems
Get Your Works Exhibited at the Mpls Photo Center!
All images selected by juror will be exhibited throughout the Mpls Photo Center Galleries and published in an Exhibit Book for purchase. The following prizes will also be awarded:
- First Place – $400,
- Second Place – $300,
- Third Place – $200 and
- Three Honorable Mentions.
Prizes and Awards include a free Black & White Exhibition Book.
This is an International Call for Entry
- Mpls Photo Center will only accept framed prints with a bright white mat and traditional black wooden or metal frame (nothing ornate). Printing, framing, and shipping/ repacking fees are the responsibility of the exhibiting artist.
- All entries should be submitted on-line.
- All entrants will receive an e-mail notification.
- Accepted images will be posted on the Mpls Photo Center’s website along with instructions for gallery presentation.
Entries can Only Be Submitted Online
Submit your work via the online tool, Smarter Entry System. Registration is required to submit.
Single Entry Fee for the First Five Images
- $35 first 5 images
- $10 each additional