The Worldwide Photography Gala Awards (WPGA) are currently open for entries for the 3rd Portraits and People Competition. Photography, drawing and painting artworks are eligible for submission. Entries are accepted in five distinctive categories.
This is a two stage competition. The first stage can be entered free of charge, which basically means that you’ll need to pay the entry fee only if your artwork gets selected.
The 3rd Portraits and People Competition will result in a maximum of 100 images selected for publishing online and in a book. Cash prizes will also be awarded to the best two entries.
WPGA is Calling for Portraits and People Artworks
Colour and black and white images are accepted. The competition is related to the following themes:
- People: Snap shots (or drawings and paintings) and street photography/drawing/paintings where people are predominant in the scene – quoting Cartier Bresson: the “decisive moment”. Travel photography/drawing/painting displaying the different cultures around the globe; images about the daily life of the family, people at work, ceremonies and rituals, games people play and children at school; sports and wedding; conflicts and the aftermath…
- Figure and Nude: Composed image of a person in a still position; an art form, where the photography/paint/draw of a nude or the human figure is a stylized depiction of body with the line and form of the human figure as the primary objective; it is an image that studies the human body rather than the person; as opposed to a portrait may not show a face at all.
- Portrait: Images capturing the likeness of a person or a small group of people, in which the face and its expression is predominant.
- Self Portrait: When the artist creates a portrait of him- or herself; it could be alone or with other people if the composition configures a desired environment.
- Children: The visual presentation of children as individuals.
Digital manipulation, as well as mixed techniques –including painting and drawing- is welcome.
Selected Images Published in a Book
Selected images will be featured online and published in the book: Portraits & People Third Edition. The book will be published and on sale on or before the end of 2011.
- Best image, the book cover and $500
- Runner up, the back cover and $300
A maximum of 100 images will be accepted to be published. All images accepted for the book will be published online and remain available for one year.
The 3rd Portraits and People Competition is Open Worldwide
- There’s no limitation regarding the date your images were taken or done.
- Previously awarded images by WPGA or another organizations are welcome.
- In case your work is published in the book you should be able to provide images of at least 10” x 8” at 300 dpi.
- Minimum of images to submit: 1
- Maximum of images to submit: 12
WPGA Accepts Entries Online
To enter the 3rd Portraits and People Competition submit online on The Worldwide Photography Gala Awards official website.
No Entry Fee for 1st Stage
No entry fee will be charged for the first stage of the competition. You can enter for free.
If your work passes the preliminary selection, you will be charged a fee as follows: $15 each for the first three images (that is $15 for one image; $30 for 2 images; $45 for 3 images accepted) and $10 each for subsequent accepted image.