Venus febriculosa, a website devoted to contemporary literature and the art and design of books, announces its Book Cover Design Contest No. 5.
The purpose of the contest is to foster interest in the relationship of literature to the visual arts through the design of a hypothetical book cover for Patricia Grace’s short story “Parade” from her 1975 collection Waiariki. Previous Venus febriculosa book cover contests have included Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, The Eel by Eugenio Montale, and This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen by Tadeusz Borowski.
This international competition is open to anyone 18 years or older. Both design professionals and students are encouraged to enter.
This is an ideas competition only: as of this writing there are no plans for the winner’s work to be featured on a forthcoming edition of Grace’s work.
Artwork must contain the words “Parade” and “Patricia Grace”. Only submissions of the front cover will be accepted. In addition, entrants should include a brief explanation of their cover (250 words max.).
- 5” x 8” [13cm x 20cm] – Vertical Orientation Only
- 300 dpi preferred. 2MB Maximum file size.
- Image file name should include the entrant’s name only (e.g.: Firstname Lastname.jpg)
Submissions will be evaluated on how creatively they address the story’s themes.
The designer of the winning submission will receive a cash award of $1500 NZ (New Zealand) and will be featured on the Venus febriculosa website.
- This international competition is open to anyone 18 years or older. Both design professionals and students are encouraged to enter.
- All design entries must be an original artwork of the entrant’s own creation. Use of copyrighted materials not owned by the entrant will result in disqualification from the contest.
- Only one entry per person is allowed.
How to enter?
Submissions must be in either digital JPEG format or PDF only and must be sent to both of the following addresses:
- admin [at] venusfebriculosa.com (please replace [at] with @)
- marco.sonzogni [at] vuw.ac.nz (please replace [at] with @)
Submissions must also include Full Name, Mailing Address, E-Mail Address, and Country (either of residence or birth).