As part of its 75th anniversary celebration, Fritz Becker KG is holding the BeckerContest 2011. It aims to promote and encourage young designers around the world.
Your assignment is to create unusual, aesthetic, innovative and functional design that includes moulded wood.
Ten award-winning prototypes will be presented to international professionals at the 2011 Interzum exhibition in Cologne.
Create unusual, aesthetic, innovative and functional design! Any designs that include moulded wood can be submitted. Combine moulded wood with other materials at your discretion. They could be furniture designs, but we also expressly welcome pieces from other areas of application.
You can submit stand-alone pieces, group projects or thesis projects.
The idea must be new and will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Product aesthetics
- Design concept
- Industrial manufacturability
- Interdisciplinary approach
- Economic viability
- Suitability of the material
- Realisation quality of the optionally submitted model
- 1st prize: €10,000 and a completed prototype
- 2nd prize: €5,000 and a completed prototype
- 3rd prize: €3,000 and a completed prototype
- 4th-10th prizes: Prototype, 1:1 scale
- All students at educational institutions for design and young designers (within two years of beginning work as a designer) can participate in the internal competition.
- Only ideas that include moulded wood in their designs may be submitted to the competition.
- Combinations with other materials are also permitted.
- You can submit stand-alone pieces, project or thesis work.
- Each participant can only submit one piece.
How to enter?
The following documents must accompany each participant’s submission:
- The completed submission form.
- A maximum of four informative and concise, titled pictures of the design (photographs, or black-and-white or colour images in a maximum format of DIN A4) and/or a model in 1:5 scale or smaller.
- A brief, printed description of the submission in German or English with a maximum length of 1,000 characters.
- A written declaration that the person submitting the piece is indeed its creator, that the piece is indemnifi ed from all third-party claims and that Fritz Becker KG has been granted indemnification in the event of claims from third parties.
- A Windows-compatible, executable CD-ROM containing a maximum of four digital images of the submission (at least 3,500 × 2,500 pixels and in TIFF format) and the brief description as a Word or TXT file. These images and brief descriptions will be used for publication in the competition record. In addition, you can include a good-quality video of up to two minutes in length on the CD-ROM (AVI or QuickTime MOV format, with a resolution of at least 640 × 480 pixels).
To uniquely identify the documents, participants are required to include their name and address on each one, placing them in the upper right on the back and on the CD-ROM. On the model, the name and address must be visible from below. Participants should pack their submissions carefully and professionally.
Please send the competition documents to:BeckerContest
Fritz Becker KG
Am Königsfeld 15
Participants are responsible for transportation insurance.