Art Moves Africa (AMA) aims to facilitate cultural and artistic exchanges within the African continent.
AMA offers travel funds to artists, arts professionals and cultural operators living and working in Africa to travel within the continent in order to engage in the exchange of information, the enhancement of skills, the development of informal networks and the pursuit of cooperation.
Once every four months, a selection committee of the Mobility Fund of artists and cultural operators within Africa, reviews and selects the applications.
Art Moves Africa supports all artists and cultural operators living and working in Africa for travels within and between the African regions. Art Moves Africa encourages individuals to continue applying even if previously rejected.
Art Moves Africa supports the travel of artists and cultural professionals working in the following artistic fields:
- Performing arts : theatre, dance, story telling…etc
- Visual arts
Art Moves Africa encourages participation at any event which enables:
- Collaborations with other professionals
- Exchange of information and activities
- Elaboration of projects, practices and ideas
- Improvement of artistic or technical skills
- Discovery of different artistic fields through: cultural professional network meetings, festivals, artists’ residencies, workshops, seminars, lectures, work sessions
- Artists to demonstrate the long term effect of their project
- Artists to share their experience by encouraging networking in their own country
- Professionals seeking wider access to international networks to enhance their careers.
AMA (Art Moves Africa) supports mobility within the African continent by providing the costs of travel, visa and travel insurance for the duration of stay. AMA doesn’t support fees, accommodations, or per-diem.
Please note that:
- flight tickets (economy class) are booked and paid directly by AMA office. Visa and travel insurance expenses are transferred after the return of grantee and upon providing all original receipts.
- you must contact the Embassy of the destination country at least two months before departure to know the procedures for the visa. In case you get an AMA grant, please don’t hesitate to ask our office, for an AMA support letter to facilitate your visa application
- the grant will be cancelled if the grantee and/or the Host Organisation fail to fill the grant guidelines and deadlines.
How to apply?
To request a travel support, you must fill in carefully an application form (available for download on the official website) and explain the objectives of their travel.
- Application forms have to be sent by email only to the following address: applications [at] artmovesafrica.org (please replace [at] with @) before a deadline (Please see below for deadlines)
- Applications are individual, they must be sent by the person planning to travel. Companies are welcomed to apply, with a limit of three persons maximum; each person should fill an application form. However, the three applicants could provide similar motivation as the two other members, but within their own application form.
- Please do not send any other attachments with the application, except for the invitation letter
- Please send the application in Word format
- Are automatically rejected: Applications sent after deadlines, Collective applications, Hand written, scanned and PDF format Applications, Applications that doesn’t respect AMA format.
- 1 January (before 06:00 PM West Africa Time): for the travels planned from 1st March onward
- 1 May (before 06:00 PM West Africa Time): for the travels planned from 1st of July onward
- 1 September (before 06:00 PM West Africa Time): for the travels planned from 1st of November onward