The APLD International Landscape Design Awards recognizes excellence in the field of landscape design. This year the entry categories have again been expanded to allow for the recognition of affordable landscape concepts. APLD also recognizes that sustainability is an increasingly necessary component in all landscape design, and it will be considered in the judging of all pertinent categories.
The best entries, judged by a distinguished international jury, will receive a gold award. From the gold award entries, the judges will choose the 2011 APLD International Landscape Designer of the Year.
The APLD 2011 International Landscape Design Awards accepts submissions in the field of landscape design, in the following categories:
- Residential Design
Design of residential property regardless of size or cost
- Non-residential Design
Includes all non-residential landscape designs, including community gardens, parks, public spaces and corporate landscapes, etc.
- Small Gardens
Designs in a limited space of no more than 1500 sq ft. (140 sq meters)
- Planting Design
Any installed project where the primary focus is planting design
- Specialty Projects
This area includes garden features, theme gardens, therapeutic gardens, educational gardens, rooftop gardens, sustainable designs, green roof installations, historic preservation, etc.
- Show Gardens
Temporary gardens, including conceptual gardens that are designed and constructed for a garden show or exhibition
- Cost Efficient Projects (New Category)
This new category will recognize affordable landscape concepts. Projects that may be limited in budget, but not design. Any size project will qualify. The main criteria is the quality of design versus the project’s cost. Your creativity and efficiency in working with a challenging budget (use of repurposed, or unusual materials, etc.) can be highlighted. The project’s cost must be included here.
The judging criteria will total 100 points. A score of over 90 is needed to be awarded gold, and a score over 80 is needed for the merit award. There can be more than one gold, or merit, in each category. This places the entrants in competition within the bar of excellence, as opposed to competition within the pool of entries.
The best entries, judged by a distinguished international jury, will receive a gold award. Other deserving entries will receive a merit award.
From the gold award entries, the judges will choose the 2011 APLD International Landscape Designer of the Year. Awards will be presented during the awards dinner at the 2011 APLD International Design Conference in Cleveland, Ohio, in June 2011. The APLD International Landscape Designer of the Year will receive free conference registration.
An additional award, the Distinctively Better Plant Design Award will be chosen from the winning entries. The award recipient will receive $2,000 worth of Monrovia products.
Publicity opportunities for entrants:
- Recognition at the APLD Awards banquet
- Promotion in APLD’s quarterly magazine, The Designer
- Promotion on the APLD Website, as well as other on-line publications
- Promotion through press release distribution
- Publicity in trade journals
- Promotion to local media outlets provided by award winners
- Ability to self promote as a 2011 APLD International Landscape Design award recipient
- Submitted projects must have been installed for no fewer than two, and no more than ten years. The exception to this rule is the category of show gardens, where there is an allowance for the temporary nature of the project.
- Projects that do not receive an award may be resubmitted in another year.
How to enter?
All submission materials must be submitted on a CD, accompanied by the application and entry fee.
The same project may be entered in more than one category, but must be on a separate CD, with separate entry form and entry fee. There also must be a brief describing the merits of the project in this additional category. There should be a second set of photos as well.
4305 North Sixth Street, Suite A
Harrisburg, PA 17110
- Certified APLD Member: $125
- Non-Certified APLD Member: $160
- Non-Members: $400 (Includes 1-year APLD Membership for the 2011 membership year)
- Non-Member additional entries: $160