Animafest Zagreb 2012 is now accepting entries for its 22nd edition. Short animated films, no longer than 30 minutes, completed in 2010 are eligible for submission. There are four competition categories and lots of big prizes reserved for the best animated films.
The 22nd World Festival of Animated Film – Animafest Zagreb is an international competition festival for short animated films that will be held in Zagreb from 29 May – 03 June 2012.
If you’re an animator, you should definitely get to know Animafest Zagreb, as it’s one of the biggest festivals for animated film in Croatia, with great international reputation.
Animafest Zagreb is All About Short Animated Films
Animated shorts completed in 2010 or later with max running time of 30 minutes are eligible to apply for the following competition categories:
- Grand Competition
- Student Competition
- Films for Children Competition
- Commissioned Films Competition
Lots of Prizes (Cash) to be Won
- Grand Prize (best short film of the festival) – festival statue and cash award of €2500
- Golden Zagreb Prize (encouragement of creativity and innovative artistic achievement) – festival statue and a cash award of €2000
- “Zlatko Grgić” Prize (best first production apart from educational institutions) – festival statue and cash award of €1500
Student Film Competition
- “Dušan Vukotić” Prize (best student film) – a Dušan Vukotić medal and a cash award of €1000
Films for Children Competition
- Best film for children (festival statue)
The Festival may permit other Croatian or international organizations or institutions to present their own awards. Should they wish to do so, they must supply the Festival Organizers with their own award regulations, prior to the Festival opening.
Audience award will be voted upon in the Grand and Student Competition
Animafest Zagreb Requirements
Any animated production realized in accordance with the definition of animation as formulated by ASIFA (“The Art of animation is the creation of moving images through the manipulation of all varieties of techniques apart from live action methods”) meeting the requirements listed below, may be entered for competition.
- Over 50% of the production must consist of animated sequences.
- Films completed after: 1 January 2010 and never previously entered at Animafest
- Max running time: 30 minutes
- Country of production: All countries
- Preview format: DVD
- Festival screening format: 35 mm, 16 mm, Digital Betacam PAL, Betacam SP PAL, HDCAM (PAL ONLY!)
The Submission Process
One entry form is required for each work submitted. After filling in and submitting the entry form online, it is necessary to send its printed and signed version together with the preview DVD of the film and with other required materials on a CD or DVD to Animafest office. Unsigned entry forms will not be accepted.
Films submitted for selection must be presented on DVD and must reach Animafest office by 5 February 2012.
Documents to be enclosed on a CD or DVD and sent together with the preview DVD of the film are:
- Directors’ biography, filmography and list of awards
- Director’s photograph
- 4 film stills (300dpi)
- Dialogue list in English
- Synopsis for the official festival catalogue
- Press kit (optional)
Films submitted for selection must be sent to the following address:ANIMAFEST ZAGREB – World Festival of Animated Film
c/o HULAHOP Ltd
Nova Ves 18/3
10 000 Zagreb
NOTE: Please mention no commercial value, for cultural purposes only.