Now entering its second decade, the Saul Bell Design Award competition invites you to seize the challenge, to push your most daring design ideas to the center of the spotlight.
Rio Grande invites members of the jewelry-making or hollowware community and students of a jewelry or hollowware training program to embrace the challenge and take part in the eleventh annual Saul Bell Design Award competition.
The winner of the Grand Prize gets an incredible prize of $10,000.
Submit original jewelery designs to the competition. The piece may not have won an award in any other competition prior to entry submission.
Choose one of the categories listed below as the foundation of your piece, and integrate any additional stones or materials you wish into your jewelry or hollowware design.
- Silver/Argentium® Silver
- Metal Clay
Submitted pieces must be a wearable jewelry style (except in the hollowware category) and must be composed of at least 75% of the material specified in the chosen category. The piece may not have won an award in any other competition prior to entry submission.
The preliminary round of judging requires a rendering or photograph of your design (must be at least 4″ x 6″) mounted on an 8½” x 11″ white matte board; no slides will be accepted. A single image is preferred, although composites are appropriate if multiple views are relevant to your specific design.
Pieces are judged on the following criteria:
- The innovation and uniqueness of the design.
- The successful incorporation of media into the design.
- The quality of workmanship (for final judging).
- Grand Prize: $10,000 Rio Grande Gift Certificate
- First Place: (in each of the remaining five categories) $2,500 Rio Grande Gift Certificate
- Second Place: (in each of the six categories) $1,000 Rio Grande Gift Certificate
- Members of the jewelry-making or hollowware community and students of a jewelry or hollowware training program to embrace the challenge are eligible to enter. Employees of Rio Grande or of any affiliate or participating company (and their immediate family members) may not participate.
- You may submit as many entries as you wish, although only one finalist per category will be awarded to a single designer.
- Winning and finalist pieces will be returned to designers by 26 August 2011.
How to enter?
Visit the official website and click on the “Enter Now” link to open the official online entry form. Then follow the instructions to submit your registration. You will be able to choose whether to submit your rendering or photograph online or by mail.
If you choose to submit your image electronically, you will be prompted to pay your entry fee and the image processing fee via credit card at the end of your registration.
If you choose to mail in your submission, you will complete your online registration then send each rendering or photograph with a copy of the entry form (one per entry) and the $45 entry fee (per entry) to the address below.Rio Grande
7500 Bluewater Road NW
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87121-1962
Attention: Design Awards
A completed registration form along with renderings, photographs or electronic files must be received by Rio Grande no later than 17 September 2010.
- Gold / Platinum / Paladium: $45
- Silver / Argentium® Silver: $45
- Hollowware: $45
- Beads: $45
- Metal Clay: $45
- Enamel: $45