After the success of the first five years photo contest “Images of Research”, one of the largest competitions for science photography will be held again in 2010. Once again in 2010, the news magazine FOCUS and vfa, Association of Research-Based Pharmaceutical Companies, are looking for professional and amateur photographers, whose photographs show the fascination of research and science by making it a visual experience.
At the same time, the images should also present people whose day-to-day research generates innovations that will improve the quality of life. With round about 2.000 pictures submitted since 2005,”Images of Research” is one of the biggest German competitions for science photography.
The competition will be held with two categories:
- Fascination of Research – will feature pictures that document scientific processes and phenomena;
- Faces of Research – awards prizes to images in which people involved in research take center stage.
Each category will be awarded prize money worth EUR 10,000. The division of the prize money is in the discretion of the jury. The prizes are awarded in cash.
Upon the conclusion of the photo competition, the pictures selected by the committee for the shortlists will be shown to a broader audience in public locations as part of a traveling exhibition.
- In principle, both categories of the photo competition “Images of Research” are open to all interested individuals. Professional photographers as well as research institutions, institutes, employees in research-based companies and ambitious amateurs are all invited to participate in the contest.
- Only photos taken after 1 September 2009, may be entered in the competition.
- Images should have the minimum size of DIN A4 at 300 and 72 dpi.
- Please submit only TIFF and JPEG formats.
- Photos that were previously entered in other contests may also be submitted to the “Images of Research” competition.
- Participants must hold all copyrights for the submitted pictures.
How to enter?
Photographs may be submitted together with the registration form.
Each participant can submit up to six photographs on a data storage medium (CD-ROM/DVD) sent by regular mail to the following address:“Bilder der Forschung”
(Images of Research)
Postfach 08 05 30
In addition, entrants must generate a brief text (no more than 10 lines @ 60 characters) featuring a description and explanation of their photograph(s), which must be submitted together with the picture(s).