Building for Life awards celebrate well-designed housing projects and neighbourhoods in England. Entries for the 2010 Building for Life awards are now open.
The Building for Life awards recognise house builders and housing associations that demonstrate a commitment to high design standards, good place making and sustainable development.
Good quality housing design can improve social well-being and quality of life by reducing crime, improving public health, easing transport problems and increasing property values. Building for Life promotes design excellence and celebrates best practice in the house building industry.
Submit entries that follow the Building for Life criteria guidance – Delivering great places to live – which explains the 20 Building for Life criteria.
These housing schemes are eligible to enter:
- a scheme – or phase of a scheme – completed after 1 April 2009 or
- a scheme – or phase of a scheme – at least 50 per cent complete by 28 May 2010. This must include not only buildings but also landscaping and public realm, so that the entry can be assessed against all Building for Life criteria.
All entries achieving a silver or gold Building for Life standard are short-listed for a Building for Life award. These are then considered by an independent judging panel which selects outstanding schemes to receive a Building for Life award.
The award winners will be announced in November 2010. Winning entrants will be informed shortly before the announcement.
- Anyone can enter an eligible housing scheme for the Building for Life awards, including architects, developers, housing associations and planners.
- Eligible schemes that have already been formally assessed and achieved a silver or gold Building for Life standard will be automatically entered for a Building for Life award.
- Applications without this supporting material will not be taken forward.
- The application form and all supporting material should be submitted as one hard copy and two digital copies.
- It is a condition of entry that all supporting material submitted, including photographs, may be reproduced at no cost to the awards organisers, in any form and in any news media deemed appropriate, to promote and/or announce the Building for Life initiative and awards. Please include credits for all photographs.
- Applications by email cannot be accepted.
How to enter?
First, consult with others involved with the development, so that they are aware that you are submitting it for an award.
Download and complete the application form, together with the required supporting evidence.
To complete your application form, you may find it useful to refer to the Building for Life criteria guidance – Delivering great places to live – which explains the 20 Building for Life criteria.
Submissions must include:
- a fully completed copy of the application form
- a site plan (as jpeg file and 1:500 A2/A3 print) showing street layout and surrounding context,
with the development – or phase of the development – being entered for the award clearly outlined
- elevational drawing(s)
- floor-plan drawings to illustrate the range and layout of dwelling types
- photographs of the built development to date, including an indication of when the photographs were taken
- a copy of the design and access statement, where available
Please send your submissions to this address:Building for Life Awards
1 Kemble Street
London WC2B 4AN